Saturday, January 27, 2007

Yeah, he rocks... but not in THAT way! :P (more MissionsFest and Steamworks)

Once we were in the MissionsFest exhibit room, Randal said that he really wanted to see the Pilgrims / Canadian Bible Society tables, so I went with him... we love our books, haha! They were selling a King James version for three dollars only: it was paperback and had REALLY TINY print! (I told Chinese Eric later that you'd need a magnifying glass to see it... if not NOW, then certainly in 10 or 20 years!) He bought one anyhow, and asked if I wanted anything: nah, I was fine with just looking at the variety of books! (HEAVENLY MAN, THE CASE FOR CHRIST - which he read before he became a Christian - and many others) I was half-afraid he'd offer to buy me a book, haha - I did NOT want him to do that! Besides, I'd been saving my $20 for dinner and a very possible outing afterwards anyhow. Chinese Eric approached us and said that Jon was talking about going to Steamworks: we convinced Randal to come with us on the basis that he hadn't seen Chinese Eric since my birthday party, haha. Since Randal doesn't have MSN or anything, Chinese Eric had to get his phone numbers instead! He told me that he was hanging out with Fay after her work tomorrow, and had had to get ready for dinner with his parents yesterday at 6:35. Fair enough! Says that Fay liked meeting me, just he liked meeting Harmony: Fay didn't talk to me because she was at the other end of the table... no worries. Sunday afternoon / evening does NOT work for a hangout time with him, as it's taken up by the AGM and the movie about suicide bombers... next weekend it could be!

After looking around at the books some more, we joined Jeremy / Jon / white Eric / Jon's Regent friend Ray at the Medair booth where they were talking to Alli about Darfur and such. Mark came up to us and asked whether we'd seen Sam / Joey / Mike / Darren: Jon had seen them five minutes before, which didn't mean anything really in the crowded exhibit space! I teased him about that Facebook group where half the people didn't know who he was, then gave him a friendly push and told him to go find his friends before they left without him! He thanked me and went off in the other direction, heh. We joked that Chinese Eric was the reason that white Eric was "white Eric," even if Chinese Eric was hardly ever around. That's partly why Jeremy is "white Jeremy" sometimes, even if there's almost no chance of confusing him with Sam's brother! Coincidentally enough, there was a "Chinese Jeremy" among Jon's group of friends at Steamworks later... I think he is Phil's cousin, but can't say for sure! (probably not) We also talked about hearing some woman outside Canada Place yell "FUCK YOU!" to her boyfriend or whoever RIGHT when the speaker paused... yikes! Nathan left early to go work on applications for class which were due tomorrow after ensuring that Chinese Eric had a ride to his car later. ("I don't want him to NOT go to Steamworks because of me!")

Saw Christon and Karen Lew before I went to the washroom, then saw Frances and Dylan when I returned. Randal came up to us and wondered where everyone else was, so we looked for them: they were a couple of rows down! Jon was on the phone to his Regent friend Matt (who I met at Jon's birthday celebration), saying that we'd definitely be at Steamworks later since we were a few minutes' walk away. Later, we discussed the generation gap between Caucasians that were our parents' age and young Chinese people! Jon, Ray, and Jeremy walked to the pub first... both Erics, Randal, and I went downstairs to the parking lot to determine what time they closed. When we learned that it was 24 hours, we decided to walk to the pub as well... might as well not have to pay twice for parking in one night! (White Eric discovered that he could have saved a dollar if he'd parked across from Canada Place where we did... D'OH!) Someone called Randal as we were heading there: I asked him who it was afterwards, and he said it was my brother. Apparently, Jon sounds like Dylan on Randal's cell phone... I don't sound like anyone else, which is a good thing! (but I still do need to work on that imitation of the Devil, haha!) Both Erics talked about hockey... we lost tonight! :(

After Jon introduced the whole table, Matt asked if I remembered him: of course I did, so I gave him a thumbs-up sign! (Michigan, heh) We had nachos, some satay chicken skewers, a virgin Caesar (white Eric), water, oatmeal stout (Beer of the Day which was on special), and other such stuff. White Eric joked about his being afraid that since he was quiet, the waitress wouldn't hear him when he ordered a virgin Caesar! "Can I have a virgin, please? Can I have a Caesar, please? Either way, I'm screwed!" Then our end of the table talked about shipping people / toilet paper inside containers: TP will NOT conceal a car since Canada Customs will get suspicious! Randal accidentally went into the States once when he had a job interview near the border, but he couldn't turn back... he had to fill out a slip of paper in a parking lot after explaining his situation to the US customs official, heh. Jeremy's just proud that he hasn't been to the States in ten years, haha.

Later, we talked about 24: white Eric said he'd called me on Monday because I could still get a bus out at the time and not be late! Told him that I *should* be there this Monday barring another missed bus or misremembering my mom's work number, heh. Randal said he'd watch it next week... he's not HOOKED (especially since he hasn't seen the earlier episodes), but he likes it well enough. Then white Eric was giving me looks as his form of support... yeah, I don't know about THAT yet! (Randal did NOT actually use my fork for eating... just for picking up a piece of chicken from the plate!) He noticed the dozens of beer kegs behind us as our backdrop, and joked that I needed that many for my keg parties - those parties only take place in your imaginations, people! (I have weird siblings and friends) I had to explain the joke to Jeremy and Randal, of course. Hopefully, Randal's mind was off his back pain by then... he somehow hurt it by washing his kitchen cabinets yesterday, but the traffic jams and accident made it feel better! (the distractions took his mind off it!) Tomorrow, he says he's vacuuming / doing laundry / grocery shopping / having dinner with his parents - whoa, a full day!

Then I learned that someone had tried buying Randal's hat on the way over to the pub. It IS a good hat, since he's received compliments on it from several sisters in the Fellowship! (Jeremy's heard some of those, too!) Jeremy joked that this is how some people do their shopping these days: these teens go out and see something they like that someone already has on their person, and offer them money for it! ("Hey, nice iPod! I'll buy it off you!") Randal checked his hat, and said that it was Canadian-made: YAY FOR NOT BEING MADE IN CHINA! He asked if anyone wanted anything to share, and we all demurred (especially me)... he'd feel weird just eating alone, heh. Maybe next time! Then we had the aforementioned discussion on red-face enzymes before we covered ten-year high school reunions: why go if you haven't kept in touch with the people? Jeremy doesn't know how people organize these things, and how they know where he lives!

Later, Jon was dancing around to the music in Steamworks: Depeche Mode, B-52s, and much more! He joked that a future Fellowship program should be karaoke and dance party night: Randal said that Jon would have to ask Karen about that. She'd be on board since she likes that kind of thing, but Dylan would be REALLY hard to convince! ("I'm TOO SERIOUS for YOU!") She's learning to do attendance and such (on paper napkins for their texture, even!), but she'll be fine. The dancy music reminded Jon of the concert he and Jeremy had gone to last Saturday: the Buttless Chaps ended their show at 2:30 AM or so, and the guys got to Jeremy's at 3-something. They felt like tired zombies all day at church, and even into the next day! No wonder, since they didn't get much sleep! After figuring out the bill, we left: Randal gave Jeremy a ride home, while the Richmond Crew and Chinese Eric walked to white Eric's grey Honda in the other parking lot.

We talked about the Nintendo Wii water intoxication case, and dropped Chinese Eric off at Nathan's since he left his car there... it took him two hours once to walk home from BC Place! Observed that all the downstairs lights weren't on. Nathan likes to work in his upstairs room, and we figured that Isabel has more discipline than Nate does... that guy is CHAINED to his laptop sometimes! (I can guess what SOME of my friends will be doing at the AGM on Sunday...) While Jon then talked to Harmony for a bit on the phone, Eric asked how my evening with Randal had been. That wasn't really what it WAS, although he observed that I'd spent from 5:05 to 11:30 in his presence and sitting beside him. Yeah, he might have a point there... but it wasn't what he was trying to make it into! It was cool to spend time with him and my other friends, of course. Everything worked out tonight thanks in part to him, sure... but I wouldn't say it was what I think of when someone brings up "an evening with him / her" in THAT kind of context! :P

Then I took his mind off those matters by somehow confusing a bare tree on Granville for a giant KFC bucket, haha. :P (Corey later said that it was a sign of insanity: LSD causes you to see things, not one oatmeal stout beer!) Man, I better sleep now... hope Henry remembers to pick me up without visual confirmation. Maybe I should leave my phone on in case I sleep way more than I should! In that case, I'd better hope that nobody calls me beforehand! At least it didn't take me too long to check my friends page and categorize my email for hopeful later viewing, hehe.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home