Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Loose screws, the deep freeze, snow, community complaints, Matt, and accidents

Hmm. I seem to have misplaced a Christmas card around here that I was going to mail. No, I didn't mail it already since I have written nothing in the card. Maybe I'll find it later... when / if I do, I'll mail it even if it's late! Also, my spray bottle from the dollar store is now bent, sorta. DAMN. Maybe I'll go back there at some point, too. Ran out of postcards, again! Maybe I'll just buy 100 at some point, since that would be cheap! (thirty dollars at 30 cents a card, and $25 at a quarter a card!)

I was messing about with the screwdriver earlier, and now I don't know where two screws go into the case. Luckily, they're in the envelope and not somewhere on the floor! Guess you could say the computer is literally operating with a couple of screws loose, heh. (or close enough to literal, haha) Still, I'd love to know where those go so I'm not worried about the computer coming totally loose from its moorings. Eric and Corey, come online STAT! (haha, that way I can ask Eric where to take this thing in if the fan / motherboard chipset needs replacing)

So damn cold today... the newspaper said it best: Into The Deep Freeze! Yeah, I know you're laughing if you're from Calgary or wherever, but it's true! The closest I'll get to outside today is when I do my laundry since I have to go near the front door of the apartment building to access the elevator to the second floor. Then again, I might have to take some garbage out today. I refuse to wear a scarf / mittens / toque (all of which I've found, a couple days late for church) to do my laundry even if the hallways are FREEZING, but I'll definitely wear those items and the pink flambé jacket to go outside! Brr! Apparently, it'll rain tomorrow, so that's going to melt it... and make it look all yucky. :P

Someone else in the Vancouver community said it way better than I could about the snow, so I'll just steal it:

Wellll, from what I can gather, I think the snow situation here is unlike what happens in the rest of Canada? It's heavy, wet snow that turns to ice sheets if it doesn't melt right away. People don't have proper snow tires on their cars, and since it usually only snows once or twice a year here, there is really no reason to shell out for them. Since everyone in the Western part of the Western world is so spoiled when it comes to weather (and clean drinking water and warm houses...), it is understandable that a weather-focused hysteria perpetuated by media runs a meaty course through the crowds.

Also, with all the accidents / unsafe drivers / transportation delays / power outages / and general complainyness of the city folk... it's understandably easier for large institutions to remain closed. It keeps thousands of people off the roads and reduces liabilities if someone gets seriously injured or killed on campus / on the way to school / etc. Or maybe the power is out? It would make sense that the message from yesterday remains the same since school is closed and no one is there.



Also, in that same post, the mod (elsabet) warned someone else for correcting the original poster's grammar and spelling. Personally, I think that behavior should be ENCOURAGED and not labeled as a personal attack / trolling. It's her PERSONAL pet peeve, so she shouldn't let it spill over in her community! I try to be as fair as possible in my communities: if there's a question about (say) Satanism, I'll let it stand. I don't like / believe in Satanism, but other people might want to know about it! Gay issues are a little grayer of an area for me, but I'll let those questions and such stand as well. What is wrong with some people?! That person who's now warned has a most excellent username: GRAMMARPUNK. Yay! :D

Hehe, Matt (yaymatt) says I can stick the replies to his birthday post into my userinfo. Sounds good, even if the spinny hugs are from last year's birthday post. I'll just immortalize it here for now before I forget: You rock, and are definitely the queen of leaving comments.

If you ever leave the beautiful confines of Vancouver (not that I know why you would) and are on this side of the Atlantic Ocean, let me know and we will go eat spätzli. (recipe in French) *spinhugs*

xoxo


Whoa. SEVEN-car accident on the Alex Fraser? Good thing I'm not really going outside today! Not that I live out there or go there on a regular basis, but... eep. Sister just called and informed me that Mom wants to watch HAPPY FEET or some other movie tonight, and I can come with them. Eh, I might if I can get through my friends list. Right now, it's time to get some soup!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home