Saturday, July 22, 2006

Suffering, babies, and Strong Bad inspire us... what about you?

Orisinal is a site with all those cute little games that are usually under 100 KB... I might check it out later!

Eric picked me up at 7:10, and we were off. I told him the story of Karen's information being two years out of date as far as side dishes went, then inserted SAM AND MAX references into the conversation. (I also did this on the way home after we dropped Jeremy off) He thought I was crazy and drunk, but I wasn't really either... I was just being random, and he knows I'm this way. :P

At the dinner, I saw Silvester for the first time in ages, but didn't really get to talk to him till dessert... SOMEONE had decided to segregate us by gender on either side of the basement. (Really... I thought we GREW out of that years ago?! I don't mind pre-arranged seating, but man!) I talked to Winnie and admired babies Megan and Benjamin... I also talked to older Megan, Maisie, Fidela (she's leaving in three weeks), Vivian (she wasn't sure if she could respond to my MSN message), Adela, Justin, Daniel, Connie, and others. Daniel told us a funny story about James and Sanne's baby Saskia: this kid's about two years old, and Kenny's dog was RUNNING AWAY from her! (apparently, she's about twice Megan's size... so a fairly big kid) We also caught a glimpse of Alan's nephew Noah: he has a BIG HEAD! (but that happens with a white dad, heh)

The only "game" we played was the name tag inspiration icebreaker game, which was a good thing... there were two more charades-type games on the schedule, but we didn't play those. (phew... it was too hot to do anything, although the basement was nicer than upstairs!) We had so much food: a lot of salads, Angus beef burgers, salmon burgers, chicken wings, plenty of desserts, and more! Karen C. wanted Jon to eat a lot, but he balked at eating more than a few caramelized onions: she made a medium-sized bowl of the things! They're good for burgers and as part of a small side dish, but not as a main course! ("Here... have some caramelized onions, veggies, and rice!" Uh, I think it's missing some protein!) Cindy and Dianne fed baby Megan some corn and such: she likes looking at the water in the cup before she drinks it, heh... so cute!

After a time of singing and annoucements (Jon and Jeremy are going to do the Grouse Grind three times on Aug. 7 for Darfur fundraising!), we all went downstairs for dessert. I talked to Andrew for a while: it seems that his workplace is understaffed for quality assurance, and the supervisor's feeling it! (maybe he'll bring it up to management...) He also told me about his stepdad and how things weren't really the same with his dad not around since 1993. (it's been that long?!) Of course he still goes to the grave every so often... perfectly understandable! His sisters get along better with the stepdad, while his brother's moved to Seattle: his mom remarried about four years ago or so. I should really talk to him more often: I remember the times we had when we were kids at church, heh.

Then I talked to Jeremy for a while: he said he should insert his own commentary into the "CLEAN UP!" advisory that Randal was doing. ("weeping and gnashing of teeth," haha) He figured that he and Jon would do the Grind three times even if they had to do the last round in wheelchairs! I also told him that Teresa had been looking for him last week after he left early... I had no clue what she wanted! As we talked about that, she was slightly behind us getting more dessert... if she'd been anyone else, I'd have asked her what she wanted. (but she gets easily confused... I made sure that Jeremy knew she asked odd questions, but seemed harmless overall)

Jen gave me and Jon some money from Erin that she owed us, and Karen joked that it was "free money night" for us. It kinda was... Jon loves amusing himself by taking some money from our mom at restaurants that she's going to pay the bill with, haha! ("If you look like you're offering me money, I'll take it!") Jen also wanted to go to Dragon Ball for something fruity (watermelon!) to counter all the meat, dessert, and salads we'd had. (there were blueberries and raspberries, but it wasn't the same... she also really needed a smoke, but couldn't really do it on church property!) We ate melted chocolate popsicles / creamsicles while talking about guitars, Summer Conference, food, and more. Jon liked Jeremy's inspiration, which was "suffering." I laughed when I saw Eric's: Strong Bad! Cindy said that baby Megan inspired her, while Jon put Adela down as his inspiration as a joke. (then Jen, Karen Lew, Vania, and Chalaine all jokingly wanted a piece of that)

I talked to Benny and Karen about Ottawa: Ben's going to Montreal on Aug. 17, and will be there for the next three years getting his degree. I'll miss the guy, so maybe I'll get his address and such before he leaves! He noticed my Ottawa shirt, so we discussed that for a while, as well as the air conditioning / fans at his dealership at work.. you NEED those when it's more than 30° out! Then I went to talk to Chrystal, Emily, and Mike... turns out that Mike also had his hot water cut off, but that's because his family has to move by Aug. 8. Fine thing for the heat wave... COOLING DOWN is recommended! (I should also ask him when they're getting baptized and such so I can get cards... maybe on Sunday!)

Eventually, we all left and it was off to Dragon Ball. We were random on the way over, and actually beat the lineup! There was a mini-patio outside composed of chairs out on the sidewalk: it's a great way to escape the heat inside the place, which is like the tropics! I had some raspberry, Jen had watermelon, Jon had strawberry mixed with something else, and Nathan and Jeremy had more mixes. ("look at all the pink flavors!") Nathan saw someone he knew, and was busily talking to him when his number was called. So I did the natural thing and called out Nathan's name to alert him to the fact that he could get bubble tea. Jeremy seemed impressed by my "bellow": hey, I get it from my dad!

We also discussed the British meaning of "fag" when Jen decided she simply had to have a smoke outside. (Jeremy encountered this obviously British dude once who asked him "Can I bum a fag?" He found it funny, and Jon joked that it wasn't the appropriate corner: the guy should have tried Davie St. instead, haha!) Christon and Ben wanted to announce a group going to the fireworks, according to Eric. (he says I don't listen well enough, cheh!) I told Jeremy about the names Eric calls me on MSN: just this afternoon, he called me "cold showers"! (sure, he was just going off my MSN name of "bring on the hot showers!", but still... good thing we've known each other for a long time, as I told Jeremy!) Then we discussed how we needed hot showers and then cold ones: opening up / cleansing pores with hot water (as with dishes / dishwasher / laundry / stuff like that) and then closing them again!

On the way home, Jon and I kinda discussed planning tomorrow's birthday dinner. He and Jeremy are doing a Darfur walk at some beach in the afternoon... you COULD just not donate and go on the walk, but you'd kinda look cheap! (as per Eric) Mom told me that my siblings wanted the dinner early because they wanted to do other things later on in the evening, but then Jon told me that they had Zion Fellowship at 7:30! (ah ha, the REAL reason comes out!) By the time they dropped me off, we still hadn't figured things out like where / when we should have it. Jon has a list of places he wants to try, though. Eh, I'll call him in the afternoon. Good times, indeed. :D


You Have Your Sarcastic Moments

While you're not sarcastic at all times, you definitely have a cynical edge.
In your opinion, not all people are annoying. Some are dead!
And although you do have your genuine moments, you can't help getting your zingers in.
Some people might be a little hurt by your sarcasm, but it's more likely they think you're hilarious.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home