Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Biology books in a BBT house, books, purchases, stream-of-consciousness rambling, and quizzes

Got back at 7 from my dentist appointment; while I was out, I decided to buy a bunch of things since I needed to. (I still have to buy groceries and 15 more birthday cards, but that can wait till tomorrow)

* a cantaloupe bubble tea at the L&G Bubble Tea House
* three birthday cards for Farrah, Jim, and Kai Qing
* chips (sour cream and onion, dill pickle, and barbecue), dry roasted peanuts, three tubes of toothpaste, six bottles of hand sanitizer, and 12 peanut butter cookies for myself
* a three-novel omnibus by Erica James also for myself (Three Great Novels: The Romantic Comedies for only $9.99!) [A Sense of Belonging, Act of Faith, and The Holiday]
* a wedding card for Esther and Wes
* six Easter cards for Christon, Chalaine, Vania, Darren, Samuel, and Joey
* two Bathroom Readers for Eric M. and Helen K.
* bookmarks for me and other people


Interesting notes on the day:

I was at the L&G Bubble Tea House before my dentist appointment to get some bubble tea. For those of you who haven't been inside one of these establishments, they usually provide some reading material and playing cards for the customers; some even have TV to watch. The reading material usually consists of Chinese books and magazines, with various newspapers thrown in for some local flavor. (I've seen the Georgia Straight at Dragon Ball, for instance)

While listening to a bunch of people from high school talk about stuff, I sipped my bubble tea and idly glanced over at the bookshelf as I watched MuchMusic's MegaHits on TV. I wasn't expecting to see seven biology textbooks on the bottom shelf as part of the available reading selection. Maybe the owners of L&G Bubble Tea House think that whoever comes in should know the basics of biology... or perhaps that's only for the people who can't read Chinese, like me. (that was the only English reading material I could see, besides the closed captioning on the TV)

I also find it interesting that my peanut butter cookies were labelled as "muffins" on my receipt from Shoppers Drug Mart. Maybe it's easier for the cashiers that way, I don't know. But it was certainly quirky.. and I'm all about the quirkiness.

While I was at the bookstore, I saw the Evil Women in History book that my friend Sarah had mentioned to Heather yesterday. I also saw a book entitled Evil Men and Women in History. The books covered different people, and were $12.99 each. I would have bought one of them along with the Bathroom Readers, but then I saw the aforementioned Erica James omnibus for only $9.99. Figured that novel was the better deal after flipping through the book, so I bought that instead.

That omnibus reminds me that I also have a three-in-one book by Chuck Swindoll: The Grace Awakening, Simple Faith, and Hope Again. The book was bought for me a few years ago at Pilgrims, and I still have yet to finish it. (yes, I have too many unread books around here!)

Mentioning Pilgrims here reminds me that I still have two $10 gift certificates for that Christian bookstore, from the end of Awana the past two years. Somehow, I didn't think of them at all when Eric had to go there before Fellowship once in December. But then, I didn't find anything interesting in the 15 minutes we were in the store. (he bought a Bible for someone) Perhaps some other time.. like in July after I get a third gift certificate, haha. Eventually, I'll get stuff there for free!

Speaking of gift certificates, I have a Chapters gift card from Melissa's family that was given to me in December 2003. Do you think I've used that one yet? No, despite my best intentions. Same goes for a Starbucks card that I got as an Awana gift at Christmas. Now I have a Chapters "$10 off a $50 or more purchase" that I got today... you bet I'm going to use that one before it expires in mid-March. Corey can tell you about the "bookstore raiding" I did in March 2002 when I got a bunch of $10 gift certificates from a fellow Awana worker for free.. they were only valid at the Richmond store.


For some reason, this reminds me that I should add my distant cousin Wilson to my MSN list. Perhaps I should email him first, so he's not too freaked out by a seemingly random person. There you have it: an entry covering food, drink, books, gift certificates, and more. :D


Click here... you know you want to.


Lucifer. The most misunderstood of all the
ArchAngels, you're most like the ArchAngel of
Light. You've seen the dark side and have opted
for something better. You need better press,
though chances are no one will really
understand your motives.


Which ArchAngel are you most like?
brought to you by Quizilla


sunflowers
You are SUNFLOWERS!


What Flower Are You??
brought to you by Quizilla


Schism
You are Schism. You are probably a sensitive
individual who is very down to earth and open
in relationships with others. Communication is
your key to success and happiness in just about
everything you do.


What Tool song are you?
brought to you by Quizilla






You Belong in the USA







Sweet!
People either love you or hate you.
And you really don't care what anyone thinks.
Big and bold, you do things your way.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home