Thursday, December 16, 2004

Shoppers Drug Mart has me in its hold....

I got a cute Christmas card from my friend Maryann today.. yay!


Just got in from buying up another crapload of stuff at Shoppers Drug Mart.. I'd heard of this promotion on Sunday from my mother, but there was no way I'd help her with her points-gathering spree. If there was anything of that sort going on, it would be on MY card. :P

When I tried doing this yesterday, I was less than $4 short of the $100 before taxes that you needed to get the points and savings. Pity that the clerk I had yesterday didn't tell me that! Today, I witnessed another clerk telling a family that they were $15 short of $100... why didn't that clerk tell me yesterday that I was only $4 short?! I would have been richer today, and not gone out! I wanted to stay strong and resist the temptation to go out and do that today, but I have absolutely no willpower. This is the night owl conversation Corey and I had at 2 AM yesterday about that.. he's going to kill me if he reads this. :P


AlenaBrolxFlami: I missed the $100 mark by $4 today! I could have picked up one extra card before my transaction went through.. picked up 13,000 bonus points too!
mrptptpt: bonus points?
AlenaBrolxFlami: http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/flyer/07_bc_60/03.html
mrptptpt: spend $100 to save $25? that's not really a very good deal :P
AlenaBrolxFlami: yeah, but you get a squillion points on the card.. normally, you get 10 points for every dollar you spend.. so that's like saving $1200 or something (math is bad, calculate it yourself :P)
mrptptpt: you are not :P you're still wasting a bunch of money to save a lot less than what you spent
AlenaBrolxFlami: so what would be a better deal?
mrptptpt: well, if you got something without having to spend $100 to get it...
mrptptpt: if you've already spent $100 and you want to do that again... you'll have spent $200, and you'll get $50 worth of points... I guess that's good if that's all stuff you actually need or would buy anyway.. but if you're just buying stuff to get the points... that's a horrible deal :P
AlenaBrolxFlami: no, I was $4 short of it, and didn't realize it till everything had cleared :P I'd probably buy that stuff anyhow at some point :P but we'll see what happens..
mrptptpt: they don't put stuff on sale or give deals because you get a good deal that way.. they do it because they'll make MORE money from doing it... now, if everyone is actually saving so much from that, how is it that they make more money? :P
AlenaBrolxFlami: by jacking up the prices of certain other things in the store..
mrptptpt: if they do that people won't buy those things much :P
AlenaBrolxFlami: so then give me your theories on it
mrptptpt: it's just to get people to spend $100 because they think they're getting something :P you ARE getting something, but would you spend $100 otherwise?
AlenaBrolxFlami: probably not
mrptptpt: there you go :P they make more money because you go spend more than you normally would
AlenaBrolxFlami: eep
AlenaBrolxFlami: yeah, that is probably true.. why was I so strong last year to resist it?
mrptptpt: stuff like this was on my marketing test that I just took :P it's just an incentive to make you buy more stuff.. it makes the offer look better (and it is better) but it's not a deal for you unless you'd normally spend that much :P
mrptptpt: I need to get to bed now though...
AlenaBrolxFlami: yeah, that's true enough.... yay for that
AlenaBrolxFlami: and so do I.. didn't quite realize it was this late :P good night and talk to you later :)
mrptptpt: goodnight.. talk to you later :P



So now I have a crapload of chocolate, greeting cards, cookies, candy, and the newest Ann Rule book in paperback. (Kiss Me, Kill Me.. gotta love the true crime!) But when I finished spending $150 (and $250 in two days) at that shop, I experienced a craving for "white food." I'd had Chinese food yesterday, and had not gone out to eat at a Western restaurant since last Saturday. (I'm Chinese, deal with the racial food groupings! :P) So I went to Milestone's for some steak.. WHY the expensive taste, I don't know. (I had steak at the Cactus Club on Saturday!)

Oh well... I am definitely NOT spending any more money unless I have to, this holiday season. I should have gone to the bank first to get some cash, because it was closed by the time I got out of Shoppers.. aiya, I don't know how I'm going to fund my bubble tea on Saturday. Starting my brother's trip back home with owing him money is probably not going to be a good thing, but it'll happen if it absolutely has to. :P

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home