Friday, January 30, 2004

I loved Jesse and Kelvin in my own way!

Tuesday, May 24, 1994

Dear Leslie,

Hello! The Canucks won at 14 seconds into the second overtime tonight - and I even found out before you told me! :) Pretty good, huh? My dad sat in front of the television for the whole game, and grunted and groaned as if he was in labor - my mom and I always tease him about that. A few ago, when my dad was watching a hockey game, he made so many funny noises that my dog actually got scared and ran upstairs to hide in my room. He was shivering so badly that it took more than half an hour of me petting him for him to calm down.

I'm sitting here writing this note, and wearing the my old school tie that I'm going to bring tomorrow in case you need one. I'm surprised that I still remember how to tie it properly! It brings back a lot of memories to be wearing it.

I have an awful lot of homework on my mind right now. It seems like I'm being expected to prepare for summertime and next year when I can hardly keep up with today. I feel a little bit overwhelmed right now. It was really nice of you to give all those cards to people. It can make a person so happy just to get a little note or card like that.

Your sister seems to spend a lot of time around Krysta - are they best friends? They sure seem to play some rather silly kinds of jokes on you. I'm not surprised that you lose patience once in a while!

I really hope that the Band performance goes well tomorrow night. I hope that there is a fairly big audience, and that you guys have fun while you're playing too. I think that I better go to bed now!

See you soon,
Leni


Monday, May 30, 1994.

Dear Leslie,

Bonjour! I hope that your weekend has been a good one. I'm glad that the Band concert went well last week. I can hardly believe that our Grade 12 year is almost over. It seems so strange to think of myself as going to college or university. University used to sound so far off, and I always kind of thought that by the time I'd be going to it, I would be a really independent and responsible person - but I'm just a kid. :) There are so many things that I have to do in the next few weeks, and so many things that I have to plan for my summer and next year! Today, I feel a little bit overwhelmed.

I had a really good time at church this morning. My music pastor's brother is the music pastor of a church in Bellevue, WA - so today, they combined the two adult choirs and sang some really good music. They're having a big concert tonight, but I wasn't able to go since I have so much homework to do.

On Saturday morning, Lisa and I went to a workshop at the Steveston Community Centre about how to get a job. It wasn't really all that useful, but at least I'll have a better idea of how to go about finding a job this summer. Does your youth choir sing at church every Sunday morning? That was kind of funny what you were telling me about how almost no one in the front row sings.

I hope that your sister and her friend Krysta have been friendly to you recently. It must be kind of a nuisance to you when they try to play silly tricks on you a lot. I'll talk to you tomorrow!

See you soon,
Leni


Sunday, June 5, 1994.

Dear Leslie,

Hello! I hope that your weekend has been okay, and that everything at home is still back to normal. You're in my prayers.

Lisa called me today and told me a bit about the dinner and dance on Friday. It sounds like she had a lot of fun. Nevertheless, I don't feel bad about not going because she said that the food wasn't very good and that it was really noisy. I like quiet, fairly peaceful places.

I've basically spent all of my weekend doing homework - I can't say that THAT was a lot of fun either! :) I have a very big term paper that I have to write for history, and I'm not sure how I'm ever going to get it done at the same time as I try to learn so much else and do so many assignments. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to summer time.

Did you ever speak to Mr. Cartwright again about talking to a social worker? I guess that if things are going okay, that might not be totally necessary, but it still might be a good idea. Make sure that you let me know ho things are going.

Did Lisa ever tell you what happened to her grad dress? She went to pick it up just two days before grad, and a new employee had steamed it - the material was ruined, so Lisa had to go out and buy a new dress. Lisa was very annoyed.

I can hardly believe that it is already the month of June. Do you have plans for the summer? I have a couple of little plans, but generally, I've got so much to do right now that the thought of having to make plans is a little too much for me. As normal, I've run out of things to say, so...

See you soon!
Leni


Undated note from my sister's friend Leanne Genovy - between June 3-12, 1994.

Dear Leslie,

Hi there. How are you? Im fine. Steph told me to write this, so don't blame it on me. "Are you les?" asked Steph. Isn't that mean? I think so.

So what's new in your school? Everything here is fine. I don't like Fraser, just Iain and Jordan. Steph said you want to have sex with Jesse. Is that true? Tell me. I want to know.

I'm glad that you're one of my friends. Well, I have to go, so bye bye.

From Leanne


Sunday, June 12, 1994.

Dear Leslie,

Hello! I'm so glad that you were able to come to the Valedictory Ceremony with us! I hope that you enjoyed yourself and felt that you had enough time to socialize with people afterwards. I'm afraid that it was so hot and crowded in the lobby that I just wanted to get out of there as fast as I could.

I hope that your mom hasn't threatened you again this weekend, and that your dad wasn't upset about the social worker calling. I've been thinking about you lots, and keeping you in my prayers. I want to share with you the fact that Jesus Christ's love for you can be a comfort to you in the times of struggle, especially when your parents say and do things that hurt you. I know that you go to church and probably know more about the Bible than I do because you've been going for more years than I have. But nevertheless, I want you to know that "nothing can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus." When you trust turn your life to Him and trust Him with your life, He loves you with His amazing gentle love and He can be your refuge and strength. I say this to you only because I have experienced God's love in my life: two years ago, I went through a time of real struggle, and it wasn't until I chose to trust God that I was able to find any real strength and comfort.

I'm happy tonight because I finally finished the rough draft of the term paper that I've been putting off doing for the last two months. My house is going to be even quieter than normal this weekend because my dad has gone on a fishing and business trip to Lund and Campbell River.

I can hardly believe that this is going to be our last full week of school! I hope that it's a good one for you, and that you get a chance to spend lots of time with the friends you've made this year.

See you soon,
Leni


* fake restraining order from Bill Baarschers on Tuesday, June 14, 1994 (I'm sure he wrote this for himself; I complained about it to Mr. Spearman - LAW 12 - and showed it to Leni, Lisa, Cheryl, Darren Baker, Brooks, Naomi, Trevor Lange, Dave Yao, Tara, Tanya, Reisa, Judy, Stewart, and others)


Friday, June 17, 1994.

Leslie,

I thought you might like this photo of Leni and yourself from Valedictory. It turned out nicely - one of the only ones that did so. L( I wish you the best of luck in the fulfillment of all your future expectations.

Your friend,
Trevor Cox


Sunday, June 19, 1994.

Dear Leslie,

Bonjour! I guess this is the last letter for the year. I hope that you had a good weekend. I was glad to hear that you're going to have an exchange student at your house this summer - your mom might be right about it being a good thing to meet a new friend. I hope that you won't have to give up your bedroom like you told me earlier that you might have to. It would make me a little more reluctant about having someone stay over at my house all summer too.

I am very sleepy right now. I spent all day fretting about final exams. Actually, that's not really true: I spent lots of time being happy, reading, walking the dog, and going to church too. Do you know for sure now that you're going to Kwantlen next year? I'm interested in what sort of thing you will choose to study. Right now, I think that I want to become an English teacher.

Does your family have plans for any special vacations? I think that I will probably spend some time in Osoyoos again this year because my grandmother (I think I told you about her before, quite a long time ago) has become very sick. I love her dearly, and I want to spend time with her.

Call me anytime during the summer if things aren't going well at home, or if you just feel like talking to a friend! I'd like to hear from you! :) I'm sleepy, so I think I will go to bed now!

Your friend,
Leni


Monday, June 20, 1994... card and note from Leanne

Dear Leslie,

Thanks for your card. I guess you really love Jesse. So, tell me... what does he look like? Could you write back? I'm looking forward to seeing you again. Maybe I can come over Thursday or Friday if you're not busy. Here's who I like: Iain, Jordan, and Fraser. Do you know them? Maybe Steph can tell you. Do you ever get the feeling that you just feel a little bit horny? Well, I do about them. You're the only person I can talk to about these things. You're a great friend.

From Leanne Genovy

P.S. Don't show this to anybody, not even your sister or family.


Dear Leslie,

Hi. How are you? I'm fine. I'm sorry I didn't write in a long time. So I hear you're doing exams.... are they hard? They must be. What college are you going to? I might be going to UCLA or UBC or Stanford. What are the exams about? How long are they? How is Jesse? Steph said you might be going to Kwantlen College. What do you want to study at college?

I want to be a veterinarian. Do you want to marry Jesse? If you do, good luck in your exams and life. Like they say: "It doesn't matter what you study as long as you don't drop out!" Corny, isn't it?

Sincerely,
Your friend Leanne.


I have a whole bunch from Elizabeth and James Magee, but I won't be sharing those. They cover a LOT of private stuff (and would be too much typing for me), and have a lot of subject matter! I also have an August 2000 pencil drawing of a flower from Julie M., and a June 16, 2001 (Saturday) drawing of sun and flowers from Louisa.


Sunday, January 30, 2000

Dear Leslie,

Leslie... I would like to tell you that you are a true friend. AHHH, spelling error back there, oh well. You just haven't taken my problems into your hands and given them a try, but you shared your understandings to me that I found related very closely. What you shared to me was what I find most important, and valuable thing in a friendship. But I tried applying excuses to my mom much before your insights. Every excuse I throw came bouncing back with a totally unreasonable comeback which doesn't apply to my emotions, but of how I was a quitter when I was a bit younger.

Well, in my mind, I mentally argue about this and think about a possible counter-judgment that she can quite verbally scream out. Here lies in my mind a chalkboard with pros and cons, but when I weigh it, the scale is ever so inaccurate, telling me lies that are part true and the truth that lies. My decisions altering every second here and there, blinding me to see what's best and feeling my way to my own destruction. "Whatever did happen to the Kelvin I once knew?" asks my mind that once strolled with him. The pain so tremendous, I don't feel it; the light so bright, that I cannot see; my world so big, yet I'm trapped in walls.

As you can see, I'm starting to turn morbid, a usual thing for me. So... all I wanted to tell you is that you're a saint. Gotta believe me on that one, Leslie... you are. Well, I guess I have to leave the rest of the page unused because it's now currently midnight. So... yeah, see you around!

Thanks for all,
Kelvin Chan


Ah, I love the way he expresses himself. We used to be fairly close, even though he was younger than I by eight years. (his sister Shirley and I were close, too) Now his parents don't go to our church anymore... I think of him often, and wonder how he's doing.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home