Monday, February 03, 2003

Buddy Holly and Phil Spector

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANN.. it was very fun playing the clarinet with you in the school band. Have a good one! :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEMIMA! It was fun when my sister had you around the house.. hope you're doing well. Have a good one! :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHALLY! I know that I almost never talk to you when you're around the church.. but I still hope you have a good one, wherever you are now! :)

Today is the anniversary of a sad day in music history. "The day the music died" was 44 years ago today on Feb. 3, 1959. JP Richardson (The Big Bopper), Buddy Holly, and Richie Valens all died in a plane crash. I've had to explain this at least in part to a few people today.. and I thought this was a fairly common piece of music knowledge!

On another note, I've also found myself having to explain to people who Phil Spector is.. this is after the news that he's been charged with the murder of some woman (Lena Clarkson.. many thanks for the info, Dan! luv ya.. :P) in his house. Apparently, his bail is set at a million bucks.. all else I know about it is that there was a 911 call from his house at around 5 this morning, and he was taken away in handcuffs. So exactly who is Phil Spector? Well, he's a legendary (and eccentric) music producer.. he produced the Ronettes, the Crystals, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, Elvis (in his "fat" days.. Spector had to edit out the burps on at least one recording), etc.. He also pioneered the "Wall of Sound," which had very lush effects on music.. to say the least.

That is all.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home