Friday, January 31, 2003

Phone idiots

For those of you who want to know what really went down when I was wishing fiery death upon callers to my apartment, here it is.. and I don't give a flaming bloody crap if it's (mostly) reposted from somewhere else:

I don't (really) mind when people call and disconnect me from the Internet, as long as it's for something relatively important. But this week, apparently most of the people that call me have been given their directives to bug me over nothing in particular at all.

For instance, one of my acquaintances must have called me at least ten times this week!!! She wanted to know if I would be free on Valentine's Day to attend some dinner / dance kind of thing for a network set up for disabled people. Late last week, I got mail about this very thing, and the deadline for letting them know about this is (or was) tomorrow. I can live with that.

Fine, so I come from the "I'll let you know when you need to know and / or at the last possible moment" school of thought sometimes. (bad, I know) So I figure I'd let her know by Friday; no big deal, right? I certainly wasn't expecting to hear from her on Monday (of all days) wanting to know if I'd made up my mind yet! I coolly told her that I had four or five days to make up my mind, so I'd let her know then. (then, I hung up after saying goodbye)

Tuesday rolls around, and she called me at least twice more. Yesterday, she called me about six or seven times wanting to know why I just hung up on her when I heard her voice! (NOT true, by the way) So finally I told her that I wouldn't be going to the thing.. why she wanted to know so early, I don't know. Something about booking tickets. (which I can certainly understand) But right now, I'm on the outs with her since she thought I was being rude.. and I don't have the energy to explain it to her.

But it was rather like: "Have you decided yet? How about now? What about NOW? Come on, hurry up and give me an answer! How about right now? Okay, how about now? Are you going to give me an answer yet, or what???" Just don't give me that kind of crap, and I'll do my best not to give you any of it, either!


Then today, there was some idiotic person (evidently with air for brains) who called my place and wanted to speak to me. Fine, no big deal. I believe the approximate conversation went like this:

___________________________________
Him: Hello, may I speak to [Flami]?
Me: Speaking.. who is this?
Him: Well, who are you?
Me: What the heck do you mean?
Him: Well, I was wondering what your phone number was.
Me: (getting more than a little testy) Well, who are you?
Him: I asked you who you were first..
Me: Well, YOU called ME.. I'd imagine you'd know what my number was. Now, who are you?
Him: This is Greg.. and isn't your number [some number that sounds similar to my number]?
Me: Well.. if you dialed it, you should know!
Him: So is this Coast Mountain Sports?
Me: Hell, NO!
*click* as I hang up quite emphatically
__________________________________


Coast Mountain Sports is this local sports store we have, and I can understand if someone simply dialed a wrong number. (in which case the conversation would ideally have gone like this: "Hello, is this Coast Mountain Sports?" "No, you have the wrong number.." "Oh, Sorry about that.. bye!") But for the conversation to go like THAT is pretty bad.. besides, this is a regular-sized apartment! Though it's roomy, it's not *quite* big enough for a major sports store with LOTS of bulky equipment and such..

Aiya.. it's been one of THOSE weeks on the phone. I hope next week goes much better. Just had to rant here. Now, it's off to the mall and meeting Yazmine at MissionsFest! Hope that'll be a welcoming respite from phone idiots.. :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home