Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Something Awful snack exchange, Tim Tams, and Boulder chips

Talking to Corey and Billie now, so that's a good thing!

[21:43:23] Flami: learning about martyrs: I did get you some more Mars Bars, so those SHOULD be in the mail on Friday. I think.
[22:03:27] Corey: more candy to make me lazy, huh? :P so have we figured out what's good around here that you don't have in Canada? there's a Something Awful international snack exchange thing going on now, maybe there's people requesting things there that would work
[22:04:08] Flami: haha, oh yes. :P for some reason, I think I should send you some, so you're getting 'em! :P
[22:04:47] Flami: I haven't figured that out quite yet, no... what kind of ideas are floating around in the snack exchange?
[22:05:16] Corey: I don't know, I didn't really read it yet
[22:18:01] Flami: gee, that's helpful... :P let's see.
[22:20:19] Corey: how about maple syrup? I don't think Canada has that
[22:23:23] Flami: har har har. actually, we have maple syrup with the 2010 Olympic characters on them!
[22:25:36] Corey: there's no such thing as 2010 yet
[22:27:20] Flami: Olympic hype... hey, have you had Aero Bars or Coffee Crisp? (reading thread)
[22:30:42] Corey: no and no... you're supposed to find USA American things, not Canadian things
[22:31:41] Flami: I know... you might get Wunderbars and Mirage bars, too :P
[22:41:32] Corey: wonderbras? I don't need that!
[22:46:55] Corey: there are entire massive aisles devoted to junk food and stuff here, so there has to be stuff you don't have there but I don't know about anything notable.. I think you guys get all the main things we have
[22:56:30] Flami: I think so, yes...
(snip of irrelevant discussion about Mexico and Wal-Mart)
[23:17:33] Flami: have you ever had Cadbury or Pringles?
[23:18:29] Corey: we have Cadbury eggs and Pringles here
[23:21:13] Flami: cool... I swear I'm trying to find USA-only things in this thread :P
[23:25:33] Corey: anything? the US people must be sending things to others :P
[23:31:39] Flami: hmm... someone was looking for salty licorice, but I don't know where that would be from. someone else said they could supply Spinblend, but that's mayo :P
[23:33:57] Flami: someone mentioned odd flavors of potato chips... don't know what all you have in that department. or maybe LOCAL stuff, I dunno
[23:33:59] Corey: never heard of that mayo... and I think mayo is mayo. it's a jar of fatty slime and it's good even though that sounds horrible
[23:35:01] Flami: this thread reminds me that I saw Tim Tams at London Drugs earlier. should have bought some, I guess.
[23:36:06] Corey: aren't those the Australian things you bite the ends off of, and drink hot chocolate or coffee or something out of?
[23:36:45] Corey: some chick from Australia was supposed to send those, and Vegemite, but she never did
[23:43:16] Flami: I'm not sure... I saw "Tim Tams" and thought "Australia."
[23:48:51] Corey: well, if that's what those are, they're supposed to be amazing
[23:54:33] Flami: yeah, I think those are the things I saw... and you're talking about something called the Tim Tam Slam, according to Google
[23:59:34] Flami: do you have funky local flavors? (and if I get to the store again, I will definitely be buying some Tim Tams!)
[00:06:43] Corey: read that thing... it's a normal Tim Tam, and that's just a term for drinking shit through one
[00:07:08] Corey: funky local flavors of what?
[00:09:17] Flami: I dunno... you've said stuff about some amazing Colorado-only chip you get
[00:10:19] Corey: I get Jalapeno chips which I thought were a local brand, but they're not.. they're a small brand that you may not get, though :P there's a brand called Boulder Chip something or other... they have some good stuff
[00:10:52] Corey: those are made in Boulder, as far as I know... they stopped making the habanero ones, though...
[00:11:54] Corey: Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper or something like that.. those are good... Sea Salt & Vinegar... I those are good, with a strong taste... uh... I think there was some weird lime type thing that was good... I mostly just got the Habanero
[00:24:33] Flami: weird lime type thing? NICE.
(snip of irrelevant conversation about stuff)
[01:41:56] Flami: you are making me want chocolate. good thing I bought a ton this afternoon
[01:44:02] Corey: how am I doing that? you're the one talking about it! :P
[01:45:13] Flami: you're responding to what I'm saying!
[01:46:53] Corey: yeah, I should probably just ignore you :P
[01:51:08] Flami: yummy dark chocolate :P
[01:52:17] Corey: don't get 99% dark chocolate, it's gross
[01:53:28] Flami: one of my friends sent another mutual friend 99% dark chocolate from France once... he said it was all right, but really chalky
[01:56:20] Corey: it's not all right :P that means there's no sugar in it at all... well, apparently they put something in to call it 99%, but it's all bitter and gross. you bake with that maybe, but you don't eat it straight. about 75% is just right
[01:56:59] Corey: most "dark chocolate" stores have is like 55% or maybe 60% if you're lucky. unless it specifically says something higher, it's probably pretty weak
[02:00:46] Flami: I saw some 75% in store today...
[02:05:08] Corey: well, that's the kind to get :P I've had 85% too... that works, but is getting on the bitter side. 75% is way darker than most stuff labeled as dark chocolate, and isn't really sweet at all, but just enough that it's not just bitter and gross
[02:07:42] Flami: I got some Belgian dark chocolate, but it didn't specify a percentage... some other dark chocolate (which I didn't get) had "___mg of polyphenols [or whatever] per serving!"
[02:16:01] Corey: well, if it's Hershey or Dove or whatever normal candy company... they're weak. Ghirardelli (or however that is spelled :P) puts percentages on theirs and goes up to at least 70%
[02:19:57] Flami: I think that spelling is correct :P ... I'll have to look the percentages up tomorrow or the next day when I'm in the store again
[02:21:01] Corey: my mom really likes dark chocolate, so we've played around with the percentages a lot :P 75% is ideal, at least in our opinion
[02:22:10] Flami: hey, that sounds pretty good... I don't think my dark chocolate now has a percentage.
[02:38:16] Corey: if it doesn't give you one, it's probably pretty low, which is still good, but it's definitely different than 75%
[02:40:05] Flami: oh, of course it is!
[02:45:08] Corey: I don't think it's local, but we did get my mom some "cherry and chili" dark chocolate for Christmas.. I think that counts as a funky flavor :P
[02:45:37] Corey: she gave me a square of it to try... I think it sounds completely awful, but it's actually pretty good
[02:45:48] Flami: ooh, I think I had some of that stuff last year sometime
[02:49:28] Flami: my parents gave me a bar of Lindt 70% dark chili chocolate from the States last November
[02:50:32] Corey: I think that's the brand we got for her. they have 75% stuff here
[02:51:14] Corey: fuck, it's 4 AM already... okay, I'm sleeping now, goodnight :P I have been trying to wake up earlier, and I keep staying up until like 4-5 AM........ that doesn't quite work
[02:52:26] Flami: that's definitely not going to work, no... goodnight.


Must buy Tim Tams at London Drugs, perhaps tomorrow even. Or maybe on Friday... I dunno. If I do that and send one to Corey, I might need a box instead of the envelope I currently have! Oh well.

Facebook quizzes taken from Tony, Dianne, and Jessica:

Leslie took Which Mr. Men Character are you? quiz and the result is You are Mr. Funny! You are humorous and fun to be with, but your pranks can get on peoples' nerves!

Leslie took If I was a doctor, what specialty would I be? quiz and the result is ER Doc. You love blood, gore, excitement, refilling prescriptions, treating gonorrhea, and saying the word "nitro." You are exciting, but sometimes superficial.

Leslie took What RPG class suits you? quiz and the result is Mercenary. You don't serve anyone, and take nobody's orders. You're a mercenary. You fight for money, fame, and power. You gained your great fighting skills from countless battles, and your scars as a bonus. You don't see the difference between justice and evil. The only thing that matters is what's best for you.

Poo nugget for Wednesday, Mar. 25: Everyone Poops - Originally written in Japanese by Taro Gomi with the title Minna Unchi, the English translation known as Everyone Poops is widely considered the most popular poo book of all time. Since 1981, the English translation has sold more than 480,000 copies. Geared towards children of toilet-training age, the book tells the story of animals and how they defecate.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home