Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cocoa on mats in dunnies?! (Barenaked Ladies)

Bingo of the night so far:

AQUAVITS (669 points) - against Tina F.

High-scoring words of the night so far:

COCOMAT (100 points) - against Frances B. [4W]
JISM (245 points) - against Luise R. [3W, 5W]
SORN (318 points) - against Carol-Ann H. [3W, two 5W, hook off JOEY for a plural]
SCOWLED (112 points) - against Lesa C. [4W]
KOJIS (104 points) - against Peter S. [two 2W, 3L on K]
QUITE (200 points; 5W, 3L on Q), DOXY (140 points; 5W, 3L on Y) - against Jermain M.
TYPIFY (312 points) - against Brittany G. [4W, 3W]
AQUAVITS (669 points) - against Tina F. [two 5W, hook off WINE to make SWINE]
SUGAR (128 points) - against Don S. [4W, 5W, hook off BEAN for a plural]

Interesting racks of the night so far: AREAGOUT (against Steve L. - read that as "area gout"), ROUTRINK (against Heather M. - read that as "rout rink"), COLTBIAS (against Rosetta K.), PODSHAME (against Carla B. - read that as "pod shame")


I heard a long double-shot of Neil Young earlier tonight: Cowgirl in the Sand and Down By The River... NICE TWENTY MINUTES! :D It's also officially Ash Wednesday - I remember Lenting MSN last year. Good times, since it spared my poor brain and eyes from a lot of Netspeak. Although maybe I should have Lented the person entirely... too late now! I'm also annoyed at certain other people right now.

Corey and I have been talking about the Barenaked Ladies, and he says that The Ballad of Gordon has been stuck in his head for over a decade!

[23:07:25] Corey: the people from that band are recognizable by name?
[23:09:55] Flami: the hamsterette: sure
[23:14:06] Corey: I think I've heard people talk about them, Internet included, like five times, ever
[23:14:13] Corey: never on the radio or TV :P
[23:14:47] Corey: a long time ago, they had a video that played on Nickelodeon all the time, which was odd since it was the only music video they played
[23:36:19] Flami: The Old Apartment? Shoebox? If I Had A Million Dollars?
[23:49:31] Corey: uh, he was a big fat alien or something and it's all about racial tolerance or something
[23:57:11] Flami: um. can you remember any of the lyrics?
[23:58:38] Flami: Enid? Be My Yoko Ono? Brian Wilson?
[00:01:26] Corey: it was called What About Me, I think
[00:02:00] Corey: "If you wanna be my spaceman, it don't matter if you're black or white, or green or blue, or something something polka dots something something"
[00:03:55] Flami: The Ballad of Gordon!
[00:06:42] Corey: it's definitely not called that, at least on that video
[00:06:50] Corey: I can't find it on Youtube
[00:08:42] Flami: .... that's what Google told me it was called.
[00:10:16] Corey: I know it's on Youtube, someone on SA posted it in a thread about finding stuff nobody remembers anymore
[00:12:23] Flami: well, you would have the access to look on the Something Awful thread... so DO IT NOW!
[00:13:50] Corey: it's long gone by now
[00:24:37] Flami: aren't there archives you could look at?
[00:27:25] Corey: it looks like it's the Gordon thing. but that's not what they called it on Nickelodeon
[00:28:49] Corey: that has the Gordon title, but I'm positive it wasn't called that on Nick... this says it's from Fox
[00:37:30] Corey: I could be wrong and just think that it was And Then There Was Me because they repeat that 100 times during the song, and Ballad of Gordon has apparently nothing to do with the song at all :P
[00:37:46] Corey: unless that's the name of the alien in the song or something
[00:40:41] Flami: it could be... I've never really heard the song itself
[00:42:05] Corey: well, click the link! I've had that song stuck in my head for at least a decade though, so be careful :P
[00:43:18] Corey: I sing the spaceman line in my head and then after "it doesn't matter if you're black or white", I just start listing colors and things until my head explodes or I think of something else. it's kind of annoying
[00:44:14] Corey: and I've just watched the Youtube video like ten times, so I'm going to go find something to eat. that damn song :P
[00:45:21] Flami: I'm going to have to look the lyrics up again to see if they reference eating.
[00:45:58] Corey: they don't! that's what I'm doing instead of watching it over and over again!
[00:54:24] Flami: nobody said you had to watch it over and over again :P
[00:56:14] Corey: no, but it's catchy, dammit
[00:57:51] Flami: fair enough
[01:07:53] Corey: so have you watched it yet?
[01:12:02] Flami: ARE YOU NUTS?! I don't want an earworm in my head for the next ten years! :P
[01:12:23] Flami: But maybe I can infect others if I share it on Facebook... *evil*
[01:15:04] Corey: YOU GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW!!!
[01:15:36] Corey: it probably won't stick with you for ten years :P they showed it repeatedly on TV when I was young... that's why it hasn't gone away
[01:15:42] Flami: ..... okay.

Poo nugget for Wednesday, Feb. 25: Doo You Know? - Down Under - "Dunny" is the Australian slang term for the toilet. The word derives from the British term "dunnekin," or "dung house." Dunny now serves as the informal term for any bathroom, but is used most often in reference to pit toilets in the Australian bush.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home