Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Myanmar cyclone donation is NOT the same as the China earthquake fund!

Let's just say that going with my grandma on a relatively simple excursion takes more time than it perhaps should. Don't get me wrong... I'm happy to have her around, but when she thinks you know the bus stops better than you do, and tries pointing you in the direction of a non-existent bus stop? Yeah, that's when I have to take her by the arm and tell her firmly that we are NOT going to cross the street. (at least, not in that direction)

Speaking of crossing the street, she wanted me to cross the street near a bus stop by Staples / Royal Bank. All well and good, except that she wasn't going to use the crosswalk for it! Yes, I've been known to do the same thing while watching out for oncoming traffic in either direction... but I would use the crosswalk most of the time. With Grandma, it's like "we're going to cross the road here no matter what!" Sure... only if you want to die! When I told her to take the 401 since that stops in pretty much the same place as her preferred bus, she told me that it wasn't the 407 - I KNOW THAT, but it still gets us to where we want to go! I saw Jennifer Lunot-Tucker on the bus: talked about Save-On, Joy Moon, Elizabeth, the program, work, and more.

During the afternoon, Grandma decided to scold me for going to the washroom at Chapters yesterday while we were waiting for the 98 B-Line. Hey, the B-Line wasn't about to show up! Contrary to her belief, the B-Line DID stop at Granville / Broadway - good thing I stopped her from going anywhere else! At least I don't announce my intention of going to the washroom in the nearest supermarket like she did today when we were finished banking! (she wanted to go to Great One, where I said "I want to go to the washroom as well, but you don't see me going to the nearest shop in order to look for a place to take a piss!")

Today, we went to the bank so she could donate $40 to the China earthquake victims. That would have been fine if she hadn't mixed up the Royal Bank with the HSBC, since the Royal Bank is only collecting funds for the victims of the Myanmar cyclone. But then Grandma wondered what was taking the client service representative so long to get a donation together! At least I overheard a man confuse $14,000 and $1561 when he wanted to close his account, haha. (then we went to Happy Date, where she bought stuff from the bakery: butterfly pastry, curry buns, coconut-pineapple bun, etc.)

All my siblings and I can do is vent in English and not take things too personally - it's just her way! Grandma, on my boyfriend and Eric: "Does he live in Calgary? Does he live with his mom and dad? Where does he stay when he comes here? OH, White Kid [Eric] introduced you! You should learn to cook - what if you want to take care of your children? Has he given you anything yet? [food and a book] Well, I guess he kinda cares then! Oh, I remember that he has a big brother. [I correct her to "little brother"] So where is he? Oh, that's good that he's working in the States. I remember their parents when Jon and he were friends at elementary school - they must be happy!"

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home