Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Nightgowns are not evening gowns!

Steph has a wedding planning thing tonight with Melia and Angus, and we've figured out that we should ignore some things that Grandma says. "Your sister bought these bus passes - what do you mean, you know already? If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know!" (yeah right!) Last night, my brother thought it was unbelievable that I had 18 IE windows open - hey, if this computer could handle Firefox for its tabbed browsing, I'd install that in a minute! :P

Mom, just before she left yesterday: "I bought you a nice nightgown for Melia and Angus' wedding!" ... sure, Mom...

Jon and I saw a huge durian at Osaka Supermarket in Yaohan, but decided that it would be too expensive a gag gift at $9 a pound, haha.

Grandma, when I was on the phone last night: "Why isn't the phone where it's supposed to be?"
Sister: "Because she's on it talking to someone!" (this is two minutes after she asked me who I was talking to!) [her nickname for Nathan is "Fat Boy" - AIYA!]

Grandma gave my brother and me a phone number to call so she could send money to help the quake victims in China. All very well and good, but a phone number has seven digits (excluding area code) instead of six! And she wonders why there's no noise when she dials the "number." o_O


Trying to go anywhere with Grandma on the bus is... frustrating these days. We were supposed to leave at 8:30 to catch a more direct bus to Vancouver, but guess what we were doing then? Eating congee and Maria tea biscuits for breakfast because she wasn't dressed yet, and because "no one told me that we had to leave by 8:30." Steph told you at 7:45, Grandma! (we finally left at 9) She complained about the long bus ride with multiple transfers to church, and then told all her friends at the Seniors Fellowship that I had to go with her because how else would she know how to get there? At least I had The Fortune Cookie Chronicles to keep me company - it's a very interesting book about Chinese cuisine throughout the world. (had ham, pineapple, watermelon, vegetarian stuff, rice, and broccoli for lunch - discussed the Chinese earthquake too!)

Example of conversation...

Mrs. Tang (Uncle Vincent's mom): "Oh, your granddaughter is so good, taking the bus with you!"
Grandma: "I don't know how to get here by bus!"
Other random grandma: "She's so clever!"
Grandma: "Her mom told her to do it - she doesn't live at home anymore so she's here for two weeks!" (with undertone of "she wouldn't have done it otherwise")

She was also very appreciative of a "lady bus driver on the 410" who dropped her off right in front of the townhouse complex even though it wasn't on the route, because the driver knew she was confused and didn't know where to go. What about me? Oh well, our duty will pay off in the end with intangible rewards!


Also... Blogger finally got rid of the unneccessary quotation marks on its post deletion page - YAY! :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home