Monday, November 26, 2007

Pressing 6 is what YOU do, not the other person!

After an hour-long nap, I was good to go... or maybe not, since I kept yawning every so often on the ride over to Jeremy's. I said that Eric didn't want to imagine what I'd be like if I did NOT have that nap: he surmised I'd be really cranky. He knows me quite well, so that would probably be correct. Eric asked whether I'd talked to Korey last night, and I said no; I was just trying to sleep early since I knew I'd have a long-ish day with church and the dinner, which sorta worked. Did it again yesterday after I got home from the dinner, setting my alarm to ensure I wouldn't sleep in and miss my appointment. I think I'll have to do this "sleeping relatively early" thing on a consistent basis for it to have any measurable benefits, however. In the car, I held Eric's cutlery picnic knapsack - what a neat concept!

When we rang Jeremy's to get in, it sounded like quite the party was going on already! We navigated the "sea of shoes" (as Emily described it to me later), and I high-fived Lucas - it's good that he's back! Tony, Stanley, and some others were hanging out in Ray's room - I had to laugh at the makeshift table consisting of a closet door propped up by various liquor boxes and books! (we later said that calculus and prayer were the perfect balance!) Ray had to remind me that it wasn't a real table - thanks! I saw Julie and Dallas attempting to study, and told Julie that we were right about one thing: we could now tell her mom that she'd studied at Jeremy's, haha! (she was concerned about it) Told Dallas that his dishes were in Jon's backseat; he said he'd get them later, but they ended being used for Jon's leftovers... meh, Jon will give the dishes back then!

Talked to Sam, Andrea, Calla, Chuck, Isabel, Danielle, Christon, Nathan, Citrus, and Vanessa about Urbana / freezing weather / Sean in New York / outgrowing the Urbana campus (St. Louis?) / Summer or Winter Conference / bus arrangements / family birthdays. (Lesley and Vivian came later) Chuck's no longer at the Richmond Hospital - Andrea joked about getting him to knock on my door at 1 AM, but figured I wouldn't like it much. Haha, that is probably jokingly correct too! Andrea said that her Gmail sidebar said "Karen Choo" when she messaged me on Friday by accident - very weird! She, Chuck, and Danielle all asked about Korey and whether he was coming around now - I guess he's doing okay, even if he may miss me a lot. People will probably see him next at Christmas / New Years, which is cool enough. Chuck said that birthday and present ideas were always tough, especially if the person has everything you could think of - SO TRUE. Oh well, I'll see about any ideas I have! (and mail stuff out this week for sure - darned deadlines! :P)

Eric volunteered to say grace for everyone, and then we ate dinner. We all lined up around the table to get our food, then exited through the kitchen to sit. Isabel said that she needed the table otherwise she'd drop the plate, so I said that I also found that to be true! (and always have) Lesley asked about Committee stuff, which I had no idea on - we'll see about positions and such! Patience and deafness in interest, oh my! Dallas did a good job cutting up the roast, which actually didn't need the mushroom sauce; too bad Jeremy didn't really get any! Emily had already eaten, so just watched us all eat instead. Stanley wanted a little bit of beer, but Jon didn't think it was a good idea since he IS underage! (Julie is, too) Then he wanted to combine orange juice with Jeremy's good tea - Emily said that there WAS fruit juice tea (which she's never tried), but we didn't think it was a good idea anyhow. Told Calla that I'd have lunch with people next week - she thought I'd said LENT, which led to Jon telling her what he's given up for Lent so far. Bit early to be thinking of it, haha. (beer, Pho, etc.)

The apartment phone rang, so Tony answered it after a couple of rings. Some of us told him to press 6 in order to buzz the person in; he mistook the directive as a command, so told the person to press 6 instead! Everyone else burst into laughter and said "No... YOU press 6!" We were still laughing about it when Vivian joined us - Jon and Nathan said that the mistake was classic awesomeness! Then there was the presentation of colored Rice Krispie Squares in a "Jon" formation from Andrea and Chuck: when Isabel insisted that there were brown things around JON, my brother joked that he was cutting her off from alcohol right then! (she'd only had very little beer)

Turns out she was right, since there were chocolate squares around the Rice Krispie creation. Vanessa had brought cookies made with half wheat flour and decorated in blue icing sugar for the occasion: Stanley asked why there was a sad face on some of them. Sam looked at a sample cookie and declared that the "sad face" was a bass clef! ("Dude... you're in music! Shouldn't you KNOW this kind of thing?!") Everyone had a good laugh and said that they'd understood the bass clef, especially when Nathan thought he was the only person to get it! Lesley (who gets rashes whenever she has alcohol) noticed cookies with a "26" on them, and asked whether that meant a hockey player... we all told her that it was Jon's new age, and not a uniform number! She also said that baby Hannah LOVES meat, and will just simply eat it like a beast! Haha, that sounds great!

I had some black chocolate stout, some Christmas ale, and some other beer. Lucas and others wanted to dance around, so Nate recorded it on his cellphone camera for a Facebook video. After a bunch of people left, Harmony called Jon - Eric, Nathan, Lucas, Isabel, Vivian, and I all had fun with Nate's "Jon's crying in the fetal position since he misses you!" motif. Lucas even said that he had had to give Jon a baby bottle, haha! Christon called to say that he'd forgotten his laptop, so came back to rejoin us for freshly brewed tea: he'd dropped off Stanley at home and Tony at a Skytrain station, then had gone home himself and only remembered when his mom asked where the laptop was! Definitely a bulky machine, for sure! (as opposed to Steph's light one) We made jokes about turmeric, going commando, Nathan liking jailbait, baptism class, not washing clothes for months (the name tags were still on the back of Jon's Fellowship T-shirt when he wore it again a few months back!), Fred and switching underwear to wear it at least four different ways, etc. Isabel certainly didn't want to know about the last one! Nathan and I discussed THE ALCHEMIST / OUTLANDER - getting hooked in the first few pages is definitely a good sign! Eric and I left after his dishes were dry, and he thought that I was going to lose my marbles once I got home - you wish! I'm not attending Ping-Pong on Friday, so I guess I'll see him next Sunday barring anything unusual.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home