Sunday, March 18, 2007

He causes havoc at new churches!

This morning, my family was high-class because we had lobster and other seafood for breakfast. Gotta love leftovers! Grandma decided to go with us three earlier than normal, and I had to translate for Jon when she used Chinese words that he didn't understand. That happens a lot more often than you might think, but it was all good. Discussed cell phones, text messages, deletion of numbers, and seeing various people last night at the banquet - Jon had four glasses of red wine! When we got to church, I was going to sit in my usual spot despite my usual crew doing the worship again, but saw my brother's Regent friend Ray in the front row. He was there to interview my dad as a founder of a church as part of a paper on Chinese churches, so of course I moved up a couple of rows in order to not make him feel unwelcome. It helps with being new, haha. (Jon forgot that I'd met him before, at the Night Market outing!) Then Danielle and Erin joined us - later, Erin saw Angus and invited him to sit with her. Good times, especially when none of us usually sit that far up! (Jon made a joke about "the unwashed masses" which Danielle took great exception to, har har)

Educated Ray on what we usually do after service: loiter around in the back parking lot and then go to Sunday School as late as possible without actually being late! (so much easier now that it's not at Frog Hollow, haha) Said hi to Jeremy, and then greeted a bunch of people when we were told to. While exiting the church after service, Raymond somehow managed to knock over a microphone stand (lots of wires around) and then some flowers on a step! Jeremy and I joked that he caused destruction everywhere he went, especially at new churches! Saw Tony in the parking lot, who told everyone that he'd quit his job at Wal-Mart: GOOD FOR HIM! Maybe now he can have a life - even though they want it in writing that it's a temporary leave, and he still has to work there for two weeks... Christon and I sympathized with him when he said that they called him while he was IN CLASS to ask if he could work since they were shortstaffed! "Um.... no... I'm in CLASS right now?" He hopes that they'll hire some lazy slackers who'll call in sick every single weekend, haha. Jon was most thrilled to hear the news, and figured Tony sounded like an ex-employee of Wal-Mart already! Saw Denise, and gave her a birthday card for her sister Julie, who's still at the University of Alberta right now. Her mom Auntie Cecilia commented that my calendar must be full - hehe, I get a comment like that at least once a month!

Ray commented that our congregation seemed to trickle in - true, since you get a bigger crowd at 10:10 than you do at 9:45 even when the morning service lets out early. (save the good worship songs for later in your set!) Talked to Jeremy, Eric, Daniel, Danielle, and others - they decided to call Nathan to wake him up since he's living on Japan time! He doesn't sleep very much anyway, and this wedding just put his sleeping even more out of kilter! Jeremy asked me how the banquet was, so I told him: good times, hehe. Everyone decided to go to Sunday School, so that was basically my cue to take off. Randal asked me whether I was going to Sunday School - I certainly was! Little Sean seemed better today too: he was playing with puzzles, saying the numbers 1 to 10 aloud, letting me hold him, and putting his hand on my leg for a bit. His brother Ian talked to me at the end when he came to pick him up along with his dad: "This is my boat! I colored it, and I folded it!" Cool stuff, little dude! Saw Auntie Fonda and got her MSN address - hopefully, I still remember what it is later!

Went outside and waited for people to reappear from Sunday School - ended up talking to Tony, Jeremy, Eric, Steph, Jon, Ray, Christon, and Jeremy in a circle. Mom came outside and offered us some candied raw ginger - none of us would touch it save for Jeremy and Eric (who only finished half since it was so potent), but then Jeremy loves Asian things! Then she offered us some dry olives: we all took a piece while discussing the Mennonite Brethren and the German tradition. Talked briefly to other friends before most of us ended up going to Pho, where we were split up into two tables. I was going to sit with the guys (my favorites!), but since Ray had to interview Dad, I was shunted to the womens' table - Jeremy made a comment about how we were all segregated by gender, haha. Eric had told me previously that he was going to cover my lunch unless my parents were paying for it, in which case he wouldn't owe me anymore - yeah sure, we'll take care of it at another Pho meal instead!

On the way home, we discussed that Russian woman who had 69 children - mostly twins, triplets, and quadruplets. My mom didn't believe me, and my dad called quadruplets "quartets" and sextuplets "sextets." Someone's been spending a bit too much time in music, methinks! We were talking about pregnancies and how Rosenda is the youngest of 14 kids - her wedding was small, but with 13 siblings and their families, it's not SMALL even with just family! Then my mom brought up certain plans that needed to be changed - aiya. Oh well, it's okay... Steph says that Vivian's family went skiing, so good times! (except Viv can't go!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home