Saturday, March 24, 2007

Babies, brides, humor / Mrs. Fields Lacy Oatmeal Cookies

When he picked me up, Eric said that my cackling randomly had to mean something - not really, and at least I didn't need any help with my garbage bag this week either! We came to certain understandings in the car, I clarified who Henry was and told him that my mom thought a bulldog was a cow (I don't want to know why...), he explained the humor in Strong Bad Drive-Thru (since Corey didn't think it was funny last night), I told him various crazy things, and he asked about my pants - of all the things, haha. Good thing I know him well enough that it doesn't faze me much, if at all. He didn't believe certain assertions I made about my hat, but that was okay - it's not like certain things happened tonight! I should work on certain things, of course - and I'm being deliberately vague here, so DON'T ASK!

Dylan told us that Phil and Jon were serving with Daniel Fellowship, which most of us knew already. Frances told us that her sister-in-law Rosenda had given birth this week to a baby - she assumes it's a boy, like they planned. (my sister on this news later: "We were the last ones to see her pregnant!") Vivian and Eric had both noticed my MSN name and asked about it: yup, my family's living the high life here in May, haha! Asked Viv whether she was going on the first cruise - yup, and she was concerned that I wasn't... nope, I'm on board! (pun intended, haha)

Told Jeremy and Dylan about it later in Bible Study, and they were suitably impressed, haha! ("At least you'll have good food and stuff!") Jeremy thought we could just refuse to get off the ship and have the same cruise all over again... I don't know that it would work very well, to be honest. I did laugh at his humor ("SMACKDOWN! YOUR FACE!") during Bible Study, and glanced at him every time he took one of my grapes - he was looking to see if I noticed, after all. Of course I didn't mind, even if I had to refill the bowl! The "different woman" Teresa was in our group, and actually didn't do anything TOO weird - although she did start reading the first chapter of 1 Corinthians when I merely asked her if she'd found the passage that I was going to read. Oh well...

Informed Jeremy that I had venison, pheasant, and various other items on the Alaska Cruise in 2005 - I should email him and Dylan the link to those photos since Eric already knows where they are! They're food-heavy, but that was because I told my sister to take pictures almost every single time we had comestibles! Dylan hasn't had a pleasant week health-wise: stomach flu, neck and back pain, plus the usual stresses and strains did him in! He did lay down the law for the Iron Chef next week: NO DURIAN OR BITTER MELON! (I extended it to "NO NATTO" for Jon and Jeremy later) Eric asked what FOO GWA was, and I told him while I was preoccupied with something else - good times! He knows very well what the dynamic with certain friends is, heh.

Afterwards, I told Jeremy that my grandma did recognize him without his beard - he thinks she should stick a word in front of "Bearded Man" to make it "Previously Bearded Man," which makes absolute sense. He has a bunch of SNES games - yay for emulators! Dylan asked if Jon used to watch the WWF: yup, and my four-year-old sister got him into it! Dianne was going on about stem cells and mice - her work in the lab sounds interesting! Frances, Raymond, Martin, and Dylan discussed taxes - Dylan was shocked when he discovered that he'd been doing them early in the past, haha! Eric made various calls to Jon and Steph, with the eventual consensus being that we should meet them and Sam at Dragon Ball from their work at the street church - fine by me, since he said that he was going to get me a bubble tea because he still owed me money! (he also gave me his change back from getting two bubble teas - that squares it away quite handily!)

On the way over, we discussed Trillian / our friends / being crazy / his being paranoid. Hey, he knows I like being morbid and such, but that doesn't mean I want him or anyone else to DIE! Once there, we were a bit too hesitant in staking out a suitable table, so made do with a little one pushed beside a bigger one. ("from the store - inside use only" was written on the stools: how cute!) Then we flipped through a Chinese magazine, chosen specifically because there was a picture of a bride on the cover. Nothing about weddings in it that we could see, though there was some pretty random stuff as per the usual! He asked whether a certain comic was funny, so I asked Sam (who'd arrived by this time with my sibs) if he could read Chinese: nope! The magazine was actually fairly recent (December 2006) since it mentioned a Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, X-Box 360, and other new gaming systems.

Steph said that Vania was scooping a lot of food for Christon, who was the only guy at a table with nine girls - but then, Melia was the only girl at a table with nine guys! Christon couldn't eat that much, and so didn't prove he was manly enough even though Mexico kinda made him used to it! Angus likes durian, to Jon's great delight: he actually got up at the Pho restaurant they went to later, and told him! I made everyone wait till I finished my blueberry bubble tea since I didn't have much left - Eric had lots of his pineapple, and Steph jokingly termed my behavior as being defiant, haha. Oh, Eric KNOWS what consequences will be brought to bear... ;)

We avoided stepping in huge puddles, made our way to Eric's car, and made joking fun of Sam for wanting to be dropped off at Richmond Sushi: "Yeah, then you can get dropped off at Joey's house for 20 minutes, then into Delta and Surrey..." He didn't know to SLAM the door and follow through, so we joked that he wasn't really a man, haha. He told us some things we'd rather not know, and then said that his dad used to street race and be involved in martial arts - almost punched him when they were having a debate about shorts in church once! (gotten past the debate part, and it was about arguing at that point!) Yup, there are times when you have to concede to a man who has three brown belts! Steph recounted a time when she'd heard our parents talking about cigarettes: Dad seemed surprised that Mom didn't even know what they tasted like, and Steph thought "What am I hearing?!" Most people who experiment with hard drugs don't try it more than once, and the same apparently holds true for smoking! We do know that he's tried it at least once - maybe many times! According to what Grandma says, he also used to sing with his friends (that makes sense) and played games with them that almost certainly involved gambling! (not recreational!)

Steph says that we'll be roommates for the San Diego cruise: I didn't know she was going, so that's cool. She can't go to both, but that'll be fine as long as Jon's around for the second one! Mom never replied to our emails asking if the second one was confirmed yet - it's not like we replied to say that two cruises would be way awesome! We asked her an actual question! (and she bugs US about not responding to HER emails... sigh!) Danielle, Nathan, and Christon know about the FINALE party, too! After we dropped Sam off while he tried to find RELAX, Eric told my sibs about my craziness - hey, he KNOWS it's part of the package! Ah, and now he's popped on my screen to tell me to go to sleep: I may be a crazy woman, but at least I'm not reading "two cruises in two weeks" (current MSN name) as "Tom Cruise in two weeks"! :P (although I am tired as well... I keep making typos, so thank goodness for spellcheck in Firefox 2!)


Mrs. Fields Lacy Oatmeal Cookies

Categories: Cookies
Yield: 96 servings

1 cup Rolled oats; quick-cooking
1/4 cups All-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1 cup Granulated sugar
1/2 cup Butter; softened
1 Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Recipe by: Mrs. Fields Cookie Book

Preheat oven to 325 degrees; cover baking sheets with foil, then coat with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl... combine the oats, flour, salt, and baking powder; mix well with a wire whisk and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed to form a grainy paste. Add the egg and vanilla extract; beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and blend just until combined. Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls 2 1/2 inches apart onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden brown. Let cool, then peel the cookies from the foil with your fingers. Be sure to re-spray the cookie sheets between batches.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home