Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Banning people, death timing, crazy morbid buildings

I banned Victoria today. That's what she gets for insulting me at least twice over in MY OWN COMMUNITY / JOURNAL! Some people never learn... there was no reason for her to respond to my spellcheck comment, haha. (as Nick's said in the past!)


Today's Sad Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

Artist Jean Cocteau died of a stroke at age seventy-four in Paris, just seven hours after Edith Piaf expired. Upon hearing the news of his friend's death, he remarked: "I had a fever since this morning, and I must say that the death of Edith Piaf has caused renewed sadness and discomfort." A few hours later, Cocteau said: "The boat is going down." These were his last words.

Culled from: What a Way To Go

**********************************************************************

What fabulous last words! I don't know how they get the timing so perfect. With my luck, I'll have some deeply profound last statement all ready and I'll say it when I *think* I might be going to die, but I'll be wrong, and then I'll have a few hours to kill and I won't want to say anything for fear that whatever stupid thing I say will be my last words, and will negate the profound and enigmatic statement I just made. And you can't repeat your last words twice, so I couldn't just say it again when I'm *really* going to die.

See, this is the Comtesse's version of "death anxiety" - it's not the fear of dying, it's the fear of dying without style!!

*******

Morbid Valentine Contest!

I've had a couple of questions about the contest, so apparently I didn't explain myself very well. The idea is to make an image to front a morbid Valentine's card. (I'd show you an example that I made a couple of years ago, but my webserver is giving me grief right now.) Whoever creates the best morbid Valentine card (as subjectively chosen by The Comtesse) will win a copy of Van Cosel, the story of one of the great romantics of our times: Count Von Cosel, who loved Elena Hoyos so much that he dug her corpse up and took it home with him.

Van Cosel

Send your creations to valentine@asylumeclectica.com. Contest closes on February 12th with the results announced in the Valentine's Day edition of MFDJ. May the most morbid Valentine win!

*******

Ghastly!

Wendi sent me some ghastly photos which purport to show the end result of a 174 mph crash on a crotch rocket ("courtesy the Oklahoma Highway Patrol"). Proof that there is a speed at which even the use of a helmet is completely futile.

Bike Crash 1
Bike Crash 2
Bike Crash 3
Bike Crash 4

*******

Morbid Sightseeing!

Katie has a great recommendation for your next visit to Arkansas:

"I'm amazed no one's mentioned this place yet. I live in Arkansas and have visited the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs -- it's supposed to be one of the most haunted buildings in the States. They have regular ghost-hunting tours and suchlike. There's also a lovely morgue in the basement from its days as a hospital that killed its patients -- rip away the plaster in the walls and you can see bones. Unfortunately, I was only in the hotel for a few minutes, so I didn't get the chance to see much. It's also, sadly, very difficult to get into the basement to see the morgue and asylum (some of the hospital's patients also went insane; the quack doctor's cures affected their brains, so he basically tied them down until they flailed themselves to death). Hospital with a crazy doctor, haunted hotel, insane asylum, and morgue, all in one building? Morbidophile's dream!"

Indeed!! It sounds wonderful!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home