Sunday, December 10, 2006

Turkey wings, sparkly Christmas trees, and dishcloths

As soon as Eric picked me up, he told me that Randal had emailed the Committee members with his offer as well as me, so I went on a "I'll do something to him!" tangent for a bit. Eric remembered our Thanksgiving discussion and thought I was totally into that kind of thing: I dunno! I told him that I was kinda crazy because I'd just drank a frappuccino before heading out the door. He didn't seem to think much of it, but it's how I needed to stay awake!

Once we got to the church, I spotted Jeremy talking to Martin, so said hey to them. We had no idea where to sit, but put our stuff on side tables. Jeremy told me that he'd experienced a weird transit ride on the way over: he saw Jon, Christon, and his cousin whom he normally never sees since she's in school and lives in New West! What are the odds?! After deciding where to sit, I went to say hi to the people with babies. I hadn't seen David, Rosenda, or baby Ian in some time: David thanked me for the birthday card, and mentioned that Rosenda wanted to go out with me sometime. That would be nice: maybe when she learns how to drive! She tried getting Ian to look at me, but he was more interested in the Cheerios on his high chair. :P Then I said hi to Helen and baby Nicholas, who had just woken up and wanted to eat. Helen had me get her a napkin from the kitchen: Rich handed me a whole unopened package of those! By the time I got back to my place, someone had taken my chair! (I knew I should have put my jacket on the chair... Jeremy told me that he'd wondered if I'd mind, and I did :P)

I talked to Randal for longer than the two seconds I predicted on the way over... he said "Hi, Santa" to me (which I ignored in favor of seeing what was going on in the kitchen - sorry!), and then we really talked at dinner about Richmond Centre / email / food / ginger beer. Jeremy told me that our church popped up as the #1 result when Googling "Vancouver church," we learned about Mandarin, Eric figures that Jeremy should host his own show about random facts he knows (much like ranting on radio about different topics), and commute times. Randal says he was in Richmond Centre on Friday, and asked if I liked shopping: he'd call me up the next time he was there, which is what I told him to do a LONG time ago! So I predicted that he'd forget since he makes the 20-minute commute so relatively rarely. Not that it matters a whole lot, but friends are good to have in this world!

The dinner was pretty good: turkey with wings / gravy / stuffing, ham, chicken, barbecued pork, salad, red cabbage (Jeremy's family tradition), fruit, cheesecake, peanut butter cookies, pies, noodles, veggies, and more. There were LOTS of leftovers! I held baby Hannah for a brief time, but she didn't like it... oh well, Lesley's more experienced than I am! She was entranced by the pretty sparkly Christmas tree, and by the fake jewels on my red shirt... so I stepped away before she could pull them off or something! I also helped Vivian when she was holding her by wiping off the drool on her hands when she put them inside her mouth. Baby drool on your sweaters and such is NOT good! (Vivian felt she might have choked if Hannah had pulled on her necklace for a long time, since it wasn't really that long or had much "give")

Talked for a bit to Dawn's boyfriend Eni, who likes Italian music and such. Both he and Martin asked me how long I'd been involved with this church: uh... since I was born? Not literally, since you can't do a whole lot when you're a baby and such, but I knew what they meant. Eni thinks it runs in the family, which may be true since my siblings and I are active-ish in different ways when it comes to serving in the church! (maybe I should diversify, heh)

Said hi to Tracy, Alan, Chrystal, Ivan, Lee, Lily, Billy, Stella, Benjamin, Jen, Frances, her husband Mel, and Connie. Got into a discussion with various people about Google and Yahoo search results, signed a birthday card for Pastor Edward, and partook in the cheesecake afterwards! Learned that Eric and Jeremy were on the clean-up crew: apparently, Randal had used an image of a bank robbery to tell them to CLEAN UP! Of course, Eric had to take it another way entirely and order me to hand over my wallet... weirdo. He also wanted to steal (thieve?) my Santa hat for some odd reason!

Jon told me that I should take some food home, so of course I went over to Karen and told her that Jon wanted some food. I have NO IDEA why I did that, as I always do... it's NOT BAD if I tell my friends what I want! UGH! Dylan thanked me for helping him out: while he could take some leftovers home, he couldn't take half the stuffing / a lot of BBQ pork and ham since he'd never finish it all. Chrystal and Jeremy helped me pack some things up, including about half or more of the red cabbage: yes, it's supposed to be purple, and not maroon as the lack of lighting made it appear! Dawn figured it was a week's worth of food, which is probably true in some respects! Jen went out to smoke, and afterwards I told her that I still couldn't read her blog! She said that was weird, and said she'd figure things out later... no problem! I then hung out in the kitchen for a bit: Jeremy didn't want to use the dirty wet dishcloths for drying the dishes, but found some small clean cloths in a drawer somewhere.

Jon mentioned that Mom actually LIKED the chocolate beer that Dawn gave him, and I asked her when her dad would be getting in: at midnight, so technically the next day. This inspired me to retell that Emily Chow story from a couple years ago where her flight was coming in at midnight: SO AMBIGUOUS! Eni, Mel, a few other people, and I went around blowing out the candles while we waited for various people to sweep / vacuum up pine needles. On the way home, Jon talked to Nathan and figured that Nate MIGHT be able to see Harmony... her flight gets in at 11 PM on the 19th, and his flight to Hong Kong leaves on the 20th sometime. (Dallas leaves then too, but wants to get an SLB hangout in since Jon talks about it a lot) After we dropped Jeremy off with his wired red cabbage, the guys teased me about being crazy (which Harmony knows all about, apparently!) / randomness / mishearings / blogging in minute detail. Hey, that's what I do! Interesting times, anyhow. :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home