Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Phone annoyances / Driverless trucks and fatal motorcrashes

1. If I ask you to pass on a message to someone else, that means I don't want to go through the trouble of explaining it yet again to someone else on the phone! There are times when I don't like talking on the phone, and sometimes I have trouble explaining myself. (Chris would know what I mean with the difficulties of oral communication as opposed to online stuff... where IS HE, and where's his brother Ryan?!)

2. Speaking of annoyances related to phone calls, my former friend Shannon called me a while ago. Thank goodness I didn't have the phone on, though I did notice a beeping noise from the phone. (Eric terms this the "Why don't you pick up when you hear something?!" syndrome, haha) I'm not going to talk to her... in fact, I thought she'd given up on calling me long ago! At any rate, I'd have been too busy with online work here to talk much to her. THERE's an excuse for Friday night... yay! :D


Today's Driver-less Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

Just a day earlier, this rubble-strewn area on Indonesia's Java island was the scene of a wedding. But what should have been a joyous celebration turned to grief on Sunday, July 13, 2004 when a driver-less truck loaded with cement rolled backward into the party, killing 17 guests and injuring 12 others. The driver was repairing the truck when it overran wooden chocks placed behind its wheels and slid 20m down a slight hill into the reception, which was being held in a house close to the road in the central Javanese town of Ambarawa, some 400km east of Jakarta. One of the 17 victims was a five-year-old girl. Trucks are poorly maintained in Indonesia, and traffic accidents are common on its crowded highways.

Culled from: Reuters
Generously submitted by: Bruce

**********************************************************************

Urban Exploration!

dollymixture sent me a link to an article about the fascinating abandoned Japanese island of Hashima:

"Off the coast of the Japanese city of Nagasaki lies a terrifying symbol of shortsighted development. Out of the dark blue East China Sea rises a dead island covered with dilapidated concrete buildings. Forms of life are absent. No people, no animals. However, in the not so distant past, more than five thousand inhabitants lived here. The voices of children echoed from the houses, laughter sounded in the streets. Now only dead concrete is left. This is the island Hashima, once the most densely populated place in the world."

To say I'm DYING to go there is an understatement!! Can you imagine the hours of bliss I could have exploring those buildings? Of course, visiting the island is strictly prohibited, but luckily for us, some brave souls have made the trip and taken their cameras with them.

*******

Ghastly!

Gisela sends some pictures: "My boyfriend's friend sent pix of his friend (how friendly) in a fatal motorcrash." Well, I certainly hope my friends are friendly enough to photograph me in my half-naked death pose and send it out for mass consumption! A Comtesse can only dream...

Harley 4
Harley 5
Harley 6
Harley 7
Harley 8

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home