Wednesday, November 08, 2006

El Torito Sweet Corn Cake / Community Bannings

I'm feeling oddly in pain, so you get this recipe before I'm off to bed. I was going to update with another Quiz Heaven dump post, but maybe tomorrow if I don't die... =/

For some reason, I was banned from dear_you over on GJ. Hmm. Time to post in a community where I know that I will NEVER get banned! :P
(speaking of bannination, I banned Meredith / Aaron / someone with REALLY BAD GRAMMAR on my other community... muhahahaha, I have the POWER!)

Also, I would really appreciate it if my computer didn't CRASH on me just as I'm going to quickly edit an entry and then go to bed! AIYOH!


El Torito Sweet Corn Cake

Recipe By: El Torito Restaurant, California
Serving Size: 12 Preparation Time: 0:30
Categories: Breads, Copycat, Mexican

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup masa harina
3 tablespoons cold water
10 ounces corn kernels
3 tablespoons cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

My favorite, and well worth the effort. Masa harina comes in a bag like flour and can be found with the flour in most supermarkets. It's the flour to use for corn tortillas. The recipe doubles easily and turns out well with either of the two methods provided.

Place butter and shortening in mixer bowl and whip until soft; continue whipping until fluffy and creamy. Add masa gradually while mixing; add water gradually and mix thoroughly.

Place corn kernels in blender or food processor fitted with metal blade; coarsely chop. Stir into the masa harina. Place (regular) cornmeal, sugar, whipping cream, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl; mix quickly. Add masa mixture and mix lightly, just until blended. Pour into greased 8-inch-square baking pan. Cover with foil.

Method 1: Bake in 350-degree oven 40 to 50 minutes, or until corn cake has a firm texture.

Method 2: Place pan in a larger pan and pour boiling water halfway up corn cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees 40 to 50 minutes, checking water level and adding more boiling water, if necessary. When cooked through, remove corn cake pan from water.

Let cooked cake stand at room temperature for a few minutes before cutting into squares or using a small ice cream scoop to serve. Makes 10 to 12 small servings. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home