Monday, July 07, 2003

Mood Music

MOOD MUSIC (no.. not THAT kind!)

Lately, I've been getting into the habit of "approximating" the IM conversations I have with the music in my CD-ROM drive. (it's very pleasurable to flip CDs in and out of that drive.. when you don't have 'em on repeat for added fun, that is) I'd listen to the radio, but there is no freakin' way that I want to hear that commercial for Playland during a break! Of course, I only have 125 CDs or so.. but it's still a good experiment in mood-matching. ;)

Of course, sometimes that's not possible.. try finding music for discussing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or circumventing copy protection on CDs. ;) (okay.. so you could go with the group Copyright, and a CD that does have copy protection on it like Radiohead's Hail to the Thief -- complete with about 1300 or so purposeful errors on it -- but I don't have either of those :P)


But I've found some things that seem to work well..

Embarrassment: play Big Sugar's Heated album. The title is very apropos, and I found myself doing that a couple years ago when I heard their single Nicotina (from their album Brothers & Sisters, Are You Ready?) on the radio. (Rock 101) Upon hearing that, my face was as red as it ever got (no idea why).. worse than a beet or a tomato. Maybe it was because Big Sugar made me think of Eric.. at that time, I had a bit of a crush on him. (totally gone now, and replaced by great friendly affectionate feelings.. I've known him since 1986, after all :P) Yeah, Eric used to bug me a lot about Brothers & Sisters, Are you Ready? (particularly Track 6, which is Butterball), but it was all good. (this works whether I'm a bit or a lot embarrassed)

When feeling a bit down: Gin Blossoms' Outside Looking In. Not that all the songs on the album are depressing, though some certainly are. I'm just not one of those people who listens much to happy music when I'm feeling down, is all. Sometimes I will, if I need to cheer up right quick.. but other times? Nah, not my style. Might get me more down, but it's how *I* decompress. :P

When feeling like I need to get certain emotions out: Radiohead's OK Computer. It worked when I was still living at home, and it still works now. ;) Very much a cathartic album for me.

When in a summery mood: Edwin's Another Spin Around the Sun. I'll always remember going to Fellowship from playing Ultimate near Nathan's house a couple years ago, and having Sean blast this out of his car CD player. Makes me think of good summer fun with my friends on the beach, or just hanging out. :)

When feeling in a nostalgic "Eric memory" mood: any of the Big Sugar albums I have (Hemi-Vision; Heated; and Brothers & Sisters, Are You Ready?), Creed's My Own Prison (he once borrowed this from me for three months), Collective Soul's eponymous album (yes, I did buy it for him a couple years ago; I knew he liked it, but STILL didn't have it.. despite it being out for years previously). I know he likes those particular groups (not insanely, but he likes 'em), so that's why those CDs receive play time. ;)


I'm sure I could come up with some more, but I bet some of you are wondering if there's a point to this blog entry.. sure there is! Earlier today, I was reading about a "really insanely gravelly chain smokin' hardcore gruntin' voice they get to do action movie trailers with.. a voice that'd make a throat lozenge advert run for cover." Upon reading that, I immediately thought of putting on my AC/DC Live! double-CD set, and those CDs haven't left my CD-ROM drive for the past five hours. :P Considering I got up at 2:40 PM today (do shush), that's not too bad.. and Brian Johnson does sorta have that kind of voice.. right?

So what'll be next in my CD-ROM once I get over this AC/DC kick? Who knows.. one of you message me, and we'll see what music I put on next. It'll be a cool experiment. ;)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home