Thursday, April 10, 2003

Naming affected by war

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FAIZAL.. RYAN.. AND ZITA! Hope all three of you have a good day today! :) I have all these school-related memories of you all: band class, music stuff, and (for Faizal) math class, Though there were the times Ryan and I were in a bunch of classes together, and the after-school stuff in the band room.. those were good times! ;)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUNTIE GLORIA! You've been a very good influence in my life, and I hope you have a great day! :) I hope to give you a call later on today at a more reasonable time. Thanks for everything.

I was just reading something earlier today about how naming and fashion could be affected by war / dictator situations.. like, are there going to be any kids named "Saddam" or people with that kind of mustache after this current conflict is over. These days, you definitely don't see kids named "Adolf" or "Stalin" / people with those styles of mustaches around much, if at all. (that's my interpretation of the words I read, at least)

That reminded me of something I read in Uncle John's Absolutely Absorbing Bathroom Reader (#12):

____________________________________

NOT THE DICTTATTOR

Adolf Hittler is alive and well. But probably not the guy you're thinking about. Unlike the Nazi leader.. this gentleman spells his last name with two T's. disdains fascism, and never aspired to take over the world. He's a 61-year-old retired school bus driver from Landeck, Austria.. and doesn't like to be teased. "My whole life, this has been a problem." he says. "Just try checking into a hotel with my name.. But it is in part my choice. I decided not to change my name. I thought it would be an insult to my parents."

Hittler's problem is rare. Only about 2% of German men before World War II were named Adolf.. and during his reign, Hitler forbade Germans to name children after him.
____________________________________

These kinds of stories are fairly interesting to me, anyways.. I don't know about the rest of you. :P

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home