Monday, April 27, 2009

Regent graduation 2009 - yay for abalone?

Steph picked me up earlier, and we were off to dinner at some restaurant in the T&T plaza before Jon's grad ceremony. Discussed Teresa, reasonable noise level at 10 AM caused by the piano when you're trying to sleep, idealism, history, studying, wedding stuff, money, Jon's pub gig with his violin later, poop, Pastor John, and more. We checked out a townhouse area, and dropped by the church to pick Dad up. Dinner was all right, although Grandma insisted on ordering abalone and shark's fin soup for presumably STATUS reasons. We're simple folk, really (except maybe Jon) - Pho is much more efficient in terms of cost, haha. Discussed tea ceremonies, soap, interesting speech material, MC gigs, mushrooms, Cecilia / Wilson / Angela / Mr. Tee / Anna / Michael / Ethan / Brigitte / pictures, Laughing Bean coffee (Grandma thought we were going to Mui's after dinner!), Chung, Allison, Mattias, little kids, Mike K., and more.

I did the dutiful thing and accompanied Grandma to and from the washrooms: my sister thought that was a good-hearted thing to do as well. Not like I really MINDED doing that! She made a comment about a kid being really quick inside the washroom - IGNORE and DISREGARD! There was a Pho Thai Son inside the plaza, which I didn't know was there... should tell Jon or Jeremy about that, haha. My sister and I took the stairs instead of the elevator: exercise, NOT smelling pee everywhere, and NOT getting stuck inside the machine between floors were good incentives!

Broadway Church was CROWDED even when we got there twenty minutes earlier than the stated time of the grad! Saw Vanessa, Wai-Mui, J-Mak's parents, Kevin's mom, and a few others that we knew. Discussed Sean, moving, New York, weddings, Alan and Tracy, Andy and Megan, the Awana extension, and more... talked about Jack Bauer as well. (I need to catch up tomorrow!) The grad ceremony was all right; Steph, Vanessa, and I noticed some of the impossible / funny names in the program (like someone whose long first name started with G, and whose last name ended with "kerkerker" OR someone else whose first name was Wee Wee [she had an English name too, thank goodness!]), and winced when "Ng" was mispronounced. It's "ING," not "ning."

We were amazed by the VERY academic titles of some of the grads' papers - who knew you could analyze a psalm or Amos so thoroughly?! (letters and such...) Vanessa noticed Jon's friend Andrea's name in the program, I noticed Ray's, Steph recognized Jon's friend Drema's name when she was called, and there was one husband and wife graduating together! (someone took her baby up with her - how cute!) Jon was part of the music offertory, so Steph took a couple of pictures. Receiving the degree and hood must be exciting... the charge to the grads was interesting, too. It mentioned death, being good, the Christian life, and more.

We later saw Vivian, her mom, Auntie Catherine, Andrea, Lesley, Pastor Edward, Christon, and other people there to support Jon with flowers, cards, gifts, pictures, and their presence - very nice of them! I had to go downstairs to look for Grandma, and bumped into Ray - he was on the phone, but I said my congratulations to him anyhow; he did thank me to show he'd heard. (I should have got him a card, but I'll do that on Thursday) Very nice, haha. Going against the traffic flow was tough, but we made it! I told Lesley that something had come up, thus why I couldn't attend her school's event on Friday. (I can spend a lot of time with Billie instead!) She's been immersed in the African fundraising function for a while now - I bet!

On the way home, we listened to what sounded like a season evaluation on Team 1040. Learned that the Giants lost against the Kelowna Rockets - AIYA! The Sharks lost against Detroit, and the Flames lost against Chicago: this means a Vancouver-Blackhawks series, and a San Jose-Red Wings series. Steph warned me that I should look after Grandma when the lards go on their cruise in August, especially with Jon out of there, and her working. I don't mind, really - I'm sure Grandma might want my company, and THAT isn't a bad thing at all. I'll spend time with her between now and then, of course! Got home to find an Evite from Jen for her birthday - which happens to be right after Danielle's birthday thing! (on the very DAY, yes...) I'll discuss things with Jon first before I commit - maybe I'll call him tomorrow!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home