Friday, April 10, 2009

Finally, I went to Good Friday service!

Eric called me at about 4:30 to see if I needed a ride. Of course I was aware of what was going on tonight, and we just decided to go by ourselves. I was glad I had time to eat benito flake noodles and shower, since dinner at church was very simple: "donated" bread from Terra Breads and three kinds of soup. We had a random ride to church after he patiently helped sort out my soup / bowl / plastic cup dilemma: taxes, not seeing him for a week, his being sick, Sundays being "feast days" in the Lenten season (Corey was very confused, the crazy kid!), saying things in French, and more.

When we went into the fellowship hall, we saw almost everyone in line for soup and bread. I said hi to a few people as Eric and I put our stuff down at a free table. Sarah apologized for bumping into me, which was fine. Exchanged banter with my brother about crazy music as I got a piece of bread and some bacon-chowder. Playfully hit Raymond in the shoulder as a way of greeting on my way back to the table, haha. I told him that I'd seen him on Facebook yesterday, and he said that at least I was keeping him accountable - you bet! He said he had to check one thing while he was adding things to his Top Five... fine, fine. I just HAD to comment: "GET OFF FACEBOOK!" Good thing he took it in a joking manner and understood, hahaha. Don't know what I'd have done if he hadn't, heh.

Talked to Dianne about her upcoming rural trip, wedding planning (Jon doesn't involve me in it!), family reunions, cleaning a mansion, and more. Grace and the girls discussed politics, and Cindy said that her partner teacher actually told the schoolchildren about the historical background behind Good Friday / Easter! Made very tentative "let's get together in the future!" plans with Chrystal... actually, I wouldn't even call them plans, haha! I greeted Priscilla, Phil, Mike, and others.

Interacted with the little kids: Abby actually said two words to me before she got shy, and cried into her mom Helen's arm. I quickly backed away from that situation, and let her go back to watching FINDING NEMO. Her brother Nathaniel told me all about his Thomas Trains, which his dad Joe cleared up for me. Keenan told me about a big bad wolf that was either outside or at home, while his brother Joshua just wanted to play the drums. At one point, Keenan and Abby (both about two years old) were chasing each other by the chapel, then walked into the fellowship hall holding hands: SO CUTE! Vanessa then reminisced about the times she'd seen Steph chase certain boys at church - I remember her kissing one or two of them! Baby Mattias (six months old) cried whenever someone held him, so I just let him hold my finger as I said hi to him. Joey impeded Keenan looking for his big brother at one point, heh. (Keenan asked me, "Where's Big Brother?" "I don't know - why don't you go look for him?")

Before we went into the sanctuary, Eric asked whether I was going to take any more bread: turned out he meant all the leftovers, and I appreciated that he looked out for me. Flaxseed was good, so I took two pieces of each kind that appeared to be left over - Cindy got me a bag, and I said hi to Nathan and Isabel while I was at it, The Good Friday service involved red cloth to be placed at the foot of a cross, white cloth, a Bach song in B minor, Communion, and MAJOR feedback noise! I sat by my usual seatmate, even if he was sitting by someone else. I've grown enough from a certain incident where I don't mind being one person away from him in the dark, heh. (and that was SO not meant to sound dirty) Interesting choice of liturgy and songs, which I commented on to my brother after we left the service.

Annie, Raymond, and I talked about the swatches of cloth we'd been given! I asked what they'd done today: Raymond had called people for bowling, and had also made soup. He says he's going to Sunrise Service on Sunday, so he'd better not hang out late tomorrow night. Annie asked if we had Monday off, since one of her friends has a FIVE-DAY weekend! Then Raymond remembered last year's Good Friday service: he says there were cloths there, too. I recalled the ones where we had to physically nail something to the cross; Citrus had to help me with that! (then there was the one where the message focused on the medical explanation of Jesus' crucifixion...)

Jon, Nathan, Christon, and I listened to Citrus tell us about whiskey and certain other aspects of his work: vandalism is NOT allowed, man! Nathan checked the Edmonton-Calgary hockey score on his phone and then razzed Richie (who's from Calgary) about the result: 5-1 for the Canucks against the Calgary Flames, man! Raymond remarked to me that he HOPED he had benched Kiprusoff in the hockey pool - that would be BAD if he hadn't! Richie couldn't believe it since the game had been scoreless at the end of the second period when he'd last checked, haha. Dianne said that Vancouver would definitely win over Colorado (second-worst team in the league) tomorrow, so we would be FIRST in the Division!

Phil heard all the commotion from his office, and came out to see what was going on. Later, Vanessa was talking to Melia about THE ROUNDABOUT at the ABC Restaurant - I instantly knew what she was referring to! Johnny wondered what they were talking about once they'd drawn Eric and Richie into the conversation: I told him, and added that we had to dress warmly for Sunrise Service since it was still cold at 6:30 or 7 AM! Phil remarked that they could do it backwards this year, so I remarked to Eric that my sister would probably have something to say about that! Melia invited Vanessa to Tim Horton's with Angus. A few minutes later, Eric asked if I were ready to leave - yup, since we both declined Jon's bubble tea invite because of cash reasons!

On the way home, Eric sang various songs, and loved it when I answered a question. He also brought up my being evil, Nathan and Jeremy's conversation about flesh in a test tube, stupid drivers, and more. I told him that my random mood last time we went to Citrus' place wasn't a morbid one; rather, it was an anti-SOMEBODY one! (and I just remembered that I actually did NOT go to last year's Good Friday service because of that particular person!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home