Sunday, March 11, 2007

No chocolate cookies for you, kid!

I felt remarkably refreshed this morning during service, even after losing an hour of sleep! When I was commenting on this to Jeremy later, he said that the fact that I didn't go to Awana might have had something to do with it! True, true... I'll have to get back to him in the summer to confirm his hypothesis! In the car, Grandma tried to give me some really old pictures of us from Expo '86, but I told her to keep them for now. She can be reminded of us, heh. Since I finally wore the black coat she gave me, I was expecting her to say something about it - she didn't, apart from a "Oh, you're finally wearing the jacket now!" Yes.. yes, I am. (Eric told me on Friday that it was nice, but maybe he thought that was part of a plan - nope!)

I got to service late, mainly because my parents were at least ten minutes late picking me up. Came in during the handshaking part of service, and noted that my usual hangout crew was doing worship - I still sat in the usual spot, though! Randal sat a row behind me, and I *still* didn't hear him call out my name... it was kinda like that on Friday night too, except he was right behind me that time! I don't know what's wrong with me.. maybe I'm losing my hearing already! *sigh* He returned the 24 tape to me, saying that he'd finished with it - that was fast, and I'm impressed! I found myself inwardly snarking at the grammar and typos in the Powerpoint sermon presentation more than usual this morning - "heart" for "heard," and "Jeremiah" for "Nehemiah" (verbal slip) were what I remember now. But Auntie Rebecca's visual aids of actual wilted flowers and melted chocolate were really funny! (not surprised that some business in Australia makes a LOT of money on those types of packages for $30 each... "Send these to your enemies / exes!")

After service, we thankfully went out the back door.. too much rain! Went downstairs to put my stuff in the toddler room, and encountered Denise on the way back, who said I was sneaky for making her think I'd gone down the ramp.. muhahaha. Talked briefly to Randal before returning the tape to Steph, and had to move him out of Jen's way since she was right behind him wanting to leave! He apparently watched the first four episodes pretty much straight through, except for two necessary breaks... I guess he was captivated by it, like we were at Nathan's for the premiere week! ("Ah, two glorious hours of madness... NO, WE HAVE TO WAIT ONE MORE DAY! ... AH, CRAP! Now it's only ONE HOUR a WEEK! HOW WILL WE SURVIVE SEVEN DAYS?!" Haha.) The kid's dad did indeed get blown up when the first nuke was set off, but that's how it goes! At least he told me where he was going afterwards before we said bye. Later, Steph and I were talking about the show to Emily and Mike: yes, it IS about bombs and nukes and stuff like that! Mike's not missing much else that's new in the general sense, heh. Steph joked that they could sing The Lord is in His Holy Temple for someone's wedding: ah, good times with God's Faithful Singers and Byron conducting / scaring the kids! Everyone save for Emily and Steph would be wondering what was going on if the wedding was a solemn occasion and needed this serious song, haha. When Emily told me that she hadn't eaten breakfast and was hungry, I told Mike to go feed his girlfriend or else, hehe. They went off to a place Phil had told them about, collecting Angus and Melia on the way.

Jeremy said that he'd gone for sushi with a Toronto friend of his, plus her friends that he only sees when she's in town. Ah, midnight / late-night sushi is yummy! (before the time change, even!) We thought people would be in the front of the church already, but they seemed to still be inside... nobody in the back parking lot today! When people DID come out, we marveled at Citrus' huge umbrella, then at someone else's huge umbrella. Those were definitely needed with this weather, man. Eric joked that he MIGHT be able to drive me to Chung's wedding on Saturday... Steph has to be there at 8:30 to help with food preparation, and the ugfart has to be there at 10 for the music. I told him about that, and he changed it to a yes. Maybe we can get the computer stuff done too, but I don't know... we'll see. At least I have a ride, and we'll probably make arrangements on Friday after Fellowship... yay, last-minute planning! :P People were bugging Chris about how he chose to let them know that he got into university: "You EMAILED us?! That's just as bad as FACEBOOK!" Eventually, Jen went home with Nathan since he wasn't staying, and everyone else went to Sunday School early since it was cold / windy / rainy. Jon told me and Steph to wait for Rachel's parents, but we figured they weren't coming because we didn't see them by 11:25 or so. ("it's LATE!")

I saw Tim, Maxine, Joshua, and Keenan when I went downstairs: wished Maxine a happy birthday, and told her that her card would be coming later. Talked to Natalie about the chocolates I gave her last week: she could smell the nuts on one of them, so that went to her brother. (yay for her still being alive!) Hannah said hi to me, and Hien waved: gotta love names which start with H, haha. Saw Helen and Joe too, but didn't get a chance to say hi. The toddler Sunday School class had ONE kid today: little Sean! He blabbered to himself, and counted from one to nine in English. Seemed to like it when I gave him TEN, and let me hold on to him for a bit. The only recognizable English words other than numbers were "chocolate," "cookie," and "treehouse." We prompted him to say "please / thank you," and he did... even saying "thank you" before I gave him approximately half a cracker more than he should have had! At least he's easily entertained and can play by himself, heh. Afterwards, I talked to Adam and Andrew for a while about their week: science and math are probably harder these days then when I went to school, yes. Andrew said that he'd survived Awana yesterday without me (I joked that I was indispensable): the Awana store was in the corner rather than the nursery since the church was cleaning that up yesterday, Melia told them to raise the price of everything by a dollar (we'll teach the kids about EVIL INFLATION along with their Bible learning, haha), and someone actually bought an Awana bag! It seemed like good times, heh.

When they went upstairs, I turned my attention to Samantha and Rosanna: the two sisters seemed determined to take Mike's keys from him while he was holding them! Apparently, they do this all the time when there's an opening... Samantha dared me to pry her fingers off the shoelace keychain, and I did. Double-teaming sisters, heh. Mike eventually threatened them by saying that he'd get Jeff and they'd go to jail for stealing keys. That didn't really go as planned since Anita said that Jeff was at work - no wonder we didn't see him downstairs like usual. Samantha and Rosanna just ran in circles around me, Mike, and his cousin Gabriel without apparently getting too dizzy or tired... then one of them kicked him in the general direction of where a guy does NOT want to be kicked, especially by a little girl. Mike told me that he wasn't sure whether he'd have to cover that area, but it looks like he had to while dodging the girls' pokes and prods! He thanked me for freeing the keys, and I told him to quickly pocket them while warning the girls to watch out for others - especially baby Amos, who looked cute wandering the basement!

Eventually, the girls grew tired of that, so I went to say hi to Karen.. her face is apparently all over T&T and Crystal Mall, and Julie / Elaine / Sarah said that they'd have to change it soon what with her wedding and everything! They're going to Hong Kong afterwards, but I'm not sure they can call it a "honeymoon" if they're going on family business / another banquet for them! At least they'll TRY to relax! Julie and Elaine were looking for their mom, who drove them today and snared a perfect parking spot right in front of the church. I saw Sarah's mom later and told her why I hadn't been there yesterday: Auntie Vivian told me that Henry actually hadn't shown up at all, so I figured he'd been too woozy from donating blood. Good thing I didn't go, heh.

Went upstairs, where Steph asked me where Jon was: downstairs talking to Phil and Sam! Rachel's parents HAD made it, but we hadn't seen them since they'd gone into the church by the time we actively started looking for them earlier! Eric re-invited us to his place for the hockey game this afternoon, told Steph that Vivian was invited too if she wanted to come, and left. (Steph and Viv were going to hang out yesterday, but didn't due to daylight savings time and leading worship) We went to Mui's and had a nice lunch. Steph said that Daniel had tried to take one of the posters with Karen's face on it to give to Chung, but the store owner wasn't having any of that: "But I go to their church! I KNOW THESE PEOPLE, MAN!" Hehe, too bad! Apparently, Steph is taking me straight back to the townhouse after the hockey game so I can have dinner, then taking me home... thanks for TELLING rather than asking, Mom! Rumors also abound of a "24 Finale Dinner Night" with the usual crew / Nathan / Christon / maybe the R-Man if he wishes to show his face in the boonies, haha. We'll see...


Maternal hilarity of the day:

1. "You can have this stuffed dragon. Its name is Cisco!"
"Mom, the label says SPYRO." *shows her*
"No, it's Cisco!"
Me, in head: "Sure, whatever you say..."

2. "Why doesn't the Save-On Foods website have those helpful things? I can't read the online flyer text!" (she meant the boxes that pop up when you hover your mouse over items in the Shoppers online flyer)
"Different websites are made in different ways, Mom..."
"Oh.. well, they should all make them the same way!"
Me, in head: "That would get really boring!"

3. "Why can't I go to Page 10 of the flyer?! Is it messed up?"
"Mom, your Internet connection is bad, remember? See that thing where it says that a local area connection network cable is unplugged?"
"So how can I go to Page 10 or 12?"
"Just wait... see? There it is!"
"Oh... why is it so bad?"
"I don't know... ask Eric sometime. Not tomorrow.. he has a meeting!"

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home