Sunday, March 18, 2007

Eating snake meat soup and listening to HORRIBLE karaoke!

Note to self: Ask someone about the Easter baptismal candidates. I don't like how they never announce it in the bulletin anymore, and I won't know about it since I'm removed from those teens!


My family and I went to Gala Seafood Restaurant for my grandma's birthday dinner. I tried wishing her a happy birthday, and she said: "It's not my birthday!" So then I tried saying that it was special because it was HERS, and her response was: "Everyone has birthdays!" As I told my sister, I don't know everyone else in the world who has a birthday around this time (lunar calendar, not solar)... and if any of my friends wished me an early / belated happy birthday, I wouldn't tell them off simply because it wasn't the natal anniversary date. For example: after we celebrated my birthday a couple of days late, I exited the car after Nathan dropped me off at my place, and Jeremy wished me a happy birthday. It would be rude and uncharacteristic of me to say "Hmph! It's not my birthday!" after he said "Happy birthday!" - and that's what Grandma essentially did. Oh well, I know she's 87 and cranky... but still, you don't do that when it happens! (she also seemed cranky when we asked her if she recognized Bearded Man without his beard - she did, which we must tell Jeremy!)

We had snake meat soup, lettuce wraps, lamb, rice, and Peking duck - so good, and a change from yesterday's fare! Grandma had a special individual bowl of shark's fin soup which was on sale for $18.80 from $39.80 - we didn't want any since we'd had some yesterday. While talking about stuff, we heard some HORRIBLE karaoke coming from a private room at the restaurant - the volume was turned up high, and we could hear people absolutely MASSACRING the high notes. There really was no other way to describe it, and we could also hear the swish of mah-jonng tiles. That party had a LOT of alcohol - many bottles of wine went in that room, and came out later on when everyone exited that room to eat dinner! One table was made up of kids who had better cellphones / iPods / various electronics that were far better than ours.. and they were LOUD!

While cringing through the bad musical accompaniment, we discussed politics and how that would affect the size of certain people's wedding ceremonies / banquets: Angus can try alienating all the people he likes in the next year or so, but that probably won't help! The church people alone number 500, and maybe 300 will come to the ceremony... add 70 cousins and their families alone to the mix, and that's maybe 200 more people. Then you add the political people, and that's even more! If the banquet is at last night's restaurant, there's a maximum of 300 people in the room - it's so crowded, and it's not even a small room! (no traveling for a certain grandma since she's 99!) We won't be miffed if we don't get invited to certain banquets, as we'll just make our own party that night. Then we got into discussing church people in general - Joey, Mark, J-Mak, Mike, Quan, congregational liaisons, certain comments and feelings, issues, including people in teams, etc. Some people shouldn't make comments that could be taken the wrong way, even if it's how they are - maybe now I know where some kid picked up the "I hate black people" remark that Amos alerted me to a few weeks ago! (that's especially bad!)

It also seems that Auntie Susan wants to take another family vacation with us since it's Karen's grad year: that San Francisco road trip in 2000 was fun! (certain jokes were so hilarious!) We'll see if Steph can take a week off - not like anything's decided yet for sure, of course. It was a good dinner - I like how I said bye to my grandma right after issuing my brother yet another joking death threat if he doesn't sign the April birthday cards... he IS home tonight, and April's not that far away! (she doesn't understand "I'm going to kill you!") Might take my mom up on her offer to pick me up after work - no idea why I always think a certain TV show starts at 8 instead of 9. I'm losing it! Beer and popcorn are suitable snacks in someone's place, but I know we have lots of snack food and fruit available at the townhouse too! No kidding... you should come over and see the incredible variety in the snack cupboard AND on the living room table! (And no, this is NOT a dig at the person I'm talking about - I'm just providing the laughs! :P But if he has a problem with it since he will probably read this, he can let me know!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,