Saturday, October 21, 2006

"Eight should be enough... I'm not giving you NINE!" / Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll

I'm listening to Green Day's Geek Stink Breath as I touch up this post... you'll find out how appropriate it is later on if you read this! ;)

As soon as Eric picked me up from our meeting place, we were in the zone listening to the hockey game. St. Louis had scored already, Eric informed me... their goalie was pretty good! By the time we got to church, the score hadn't changed, although the Canucks outshot the Blues by a huge margin! He asked if I were going to Pho: I usually do when he goes to church early, so he handed me eight dollars ("I'm not going to give you nine, haha!") and told me to get one of the grilled pork things with rice for him: a #43 takeout wasn't a problem! (I got him some chopsticks and a napkin too) I got back to church by 7:15, saw my brother who told me that Eric was downstairs (since Steph / Mike / Joey / Sam / Ivan were practicing for Floodlight upstairs), and talked to Christon and Sheena for a while. Stress, preparation, Jeremy underestimating the time it took to bus to the church from home (waiting 20 minutes for the bus definitely cuts into that!), Chinese bus tours, turning off the sound system (we'd turn it on again if we needed it), and Steph not staying because she'd fall asleep (she went home with Dad) were all discussed.

After that, we listened to Cordia and Joyce doing weird sound effects on the keyboard until Dylan kicked them out to go downstairs since our program was starting. I talked to Ivan, Randal, and Karen Lew for a while, and tried some ginger beer from President's Choice. I'm sure it wasn't alcoholic, but it was good! Randal thought I might not like it - he just doesn't know me very well yet, haha! Eric's food definitely smelled good, Frances observed. During the program, I talked to Alan / Eric / Jeremy for a bit... yup, Chinese parents have weird ways of punishing their kids! Making them kneel (over a vent) and pull their ears (my mom once made me do that all night when I was 20!), or using the hard end of a feather duster on them? Bleh! I'm afraid my answers weren't that informative, but at least they asked me if I had anything to say! Maybe I need to rethink being private with some things, since I *am* among friends in a safe environment - who cares what they think? (haha, I'm only half-joking!) On my way back from the washroom, I saw Henry and a couple others coming into the church - I could hear ambulances outside. Hopefully he remembers to pick me up tomorrow... he's been quite good about it, heh. :D

Later, I decided to see if the downstairs group was done yet: they weren't, so I talked to Karen Choo and Karen So for a brief while about life and Committee. I guess it is hard to decide whether to serve an extra year on Committee, with all the doubts and such that plague your head! (I went through that, too!) Afterwards, I asked Jeremy how much he knew about ginseng: when the answer was "not much," I gave him the info that I'd picked up on the tour. He then said that ginseng beer could be something he might like, so I told him to get on that with all the other beer he's making! (he mentioned ginger shots for the Sunday dinners: that would be so cool!)

The cleaners were there earlier than usual (or so it seemed), so we went downstairs. Jon was helping out with the other group, so we talked to him and a bunch of others (Danielle, Sam, etc.) for a while. LUCAS WAS THERE!!! I HAVEN'T SEEN HIM IN A LONG TIME! He's at Langara - good school. Someone asked about Steph, so Jon said that she'd gone home early: I added that she mentioned that she'd fall asleep if she stayed any longer after Floodlight practice. Jon then added that she'd slept only 3 hours because of an interview: Eric thought that she'd be too loud for that place! Haha, maybe... she'd better learn to tone it down while there, for sure! We heard from Joey (who'd gone across the street to the Pho place to watch it on their TV) that Salo had scored with a few seconds left in overtime to ensure the Canucks won the game... YES! Eric told me that the pork made his breath stinky with onion / garlic... yeah, it's too bad that he can't just chew some gum to get rid of it!

Sam asked Eric for a ride home, which wasn't a problem... we stopped by Dragon Ball first, though. Jon made fun of Joey and others going to McDonalds for ice cream: "IT STINKS, MAN!!!" We discussed the West Side skunk smell (Sam didn't know it was skunk for a long time - he just thought it smelled weird), and how my friend Jason had to get his friends to help him clean his car after a skunk sprayed it. At Dragon Ball, we discussed Dallas / Phil / Joe's farewell on Sunday / interesting things in the Chinese magazines (acupuncture, the lack of Chinese translation for "may I go to the toilet? go ahead," horoscopes) / grabbing a table to nearly give it up later - eep! / our various bubble teas (my cherry, Eric's non-sugar papaya, Jon's green apple-peppermint) / liking how I butt in line. (haha, I go for the subtle approach) Jon told someone on the phone that he was a geek... yeah, about things like beer / brewmasters at Dix (Jeremy told me that they'd gone yesterday... six casks of beer is pretty great!) / music!

On the way home, we discussed Ivan playing Sam's new guitar ($400 at Tom Lee on Tuesday!) and Jon directing a bunch of people from the shady Pho to the good Pho - I saw them there when I ate dinner! Jon brought up tomorrow's conference (he and Nathan were late today!), tomorrow's plans, Nathan, and parental approaches to our going out late. There was the time in 2000 that Jon and I went to karaoke and a meal - Mom was waiting for us at 3 AM because someone called at 2:30! (of COURSE Sean was involved!) Sam's mom just calls him a lot, while his dad doesn't really mind - Jon's just trained Mom over some years to gradually extend the time he's out, haha. There's this sketchy girl (Questa?) that Sam knows from somewhere who smokes, robs people, and then goes to church the next day! Jon has no beef with her or her sister yet, so I'm not sure whether he will now, heh. Sam also told us about how Lucas was keyboarding in a band (we thought he'd be drumming) who wanted to go on tour. Lucas quit because he wanted to get some college / university education in first... that had to be a tough decision! Good times, though! Hey, one of the nice ladies on the bus tour has emailed me some photos - cool stuff. They're mostly pictures that I already have, so I won't bore you with 'em. But it was cool she remembered about them, heh. Now Corey's telling me that he gets paid to help people do web searches on ChaCha... okay, then! (Heather M.'s "please bare with me" makes it sound like she has something else in mind, hahaha!)


Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll

Serving Size: 12
Categories: Rolls
INGREDIENTS:

DOUGH
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk -- room temperature
1 large egg – beaten
1/4 cup butter -- softened
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups all purpose white flour
1/2 package instant vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz box)
1 tablespoon bread machine yeast

FILLING
1 cup brown sugar – packed
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter -- softened

CREAM CHEESE CINNAMON FROSTING
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 ounces cream cheese – softened
1/4 cup butter -- softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

*********
Preparation Instructions:

Dough: Add the dough ingredients, in the order listed, to the bread machine and prepare using the dough setting. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to an 18" by 30" rectangle. The dough can also be handmade. If you use regular yeast, you may want to let the rolls proof for 15-30 minutes after assembly).

Filling: In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread the softened butter over the dough and evenly sprinkle on the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Starting at the long edge of the dough, roll up tightly. Mark the roll every 2 inches. With a thread, cut the roll by placing the thread under the roll at your mark. Crisscross over and pull to cut. Place rolls into greased 8" or 9" baking pans 2" apart. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place until almost double, approximately 1 hour. After rising, rolls should be touching each other and the sides of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Cream Cheese Cinnamon Frosting: In a small bowl... mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and milk. Add powdered sugar and cinnamon... mix until smooth. Spread on warm rolls and serve immediately.

This recipe has been adjusted so that the dough can be prepared in your bread machine. These will taste most like the originals if you use Makara Cinnamon (available at the Cinnabon Stands) instead of conventional powdered cinnamon from the supermarket.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home