Sunday, July 24, 2005

First Nations Street Church @ Main / Hastings

Right after I finished my last post, I just managed to get Jon on the phone as he was about to leave Eric's. We picked up Jeremy on the way to Main and Hastings, and shared some Blue Diamond almonds. Eric called me "monkey girl" when I moved his banana over in the backseat since I didn't want to squish it while making room for Jon. (in the two hours that they did other stuff, I wrote my last entry!) He and Jon were trying to say my nickname with a German accent... they attempted a French accent earlier, heh. Jeremy was wearing a red "... and yo" (in white) T-shirt.. I'm not sure what the significance of that is, but at least it's not raw dog / durian! ;)

We met up with Alan on the edge of Chinatown, and banged on the Plexiglas door to enter the First Nations street church. The senior pastor there is someone who used to go there for hot dogs and just run out, like the majority of people in line tonight, some of whom went back for more multiple times. I figured my brother's friend Gideon was there because Jon sang a certain song with changed lyrics implying something quite different from the reality! Ty noticed me there, and greeted me warmly... he said he was glad to see me come out. Might as well try it once, y'know? (and I might do it again, who knows?)

After a quick run-through of the way things were going to be led, Alan and Eric helped serve food. Ty, Jon, and Jeremy helped with the worship and service. A few others and I helped welcome the people as they came in to consume hot dogs and drinks. One man in the lineup claimed to be from Mars, and also said that he'd seen War of the Worlds with his mother at the new Paramount theatre! I shook people's hands and said hi... I wasn't as proficient or warm as some other girl named Esther, but that could come with time.

Then Esther, Gideon, and I talked with a man who was from Nova Scotia... he had some interesting ideas! He'd been a chef / cook for 25 years, doesn't like BS or people stealing from him, apologized for his language, and said a Halifax boat ride is where it's at. Gideon says he can even mess up instant noodles: he was making four packages at once for his family, put all four seasoning packets in, and had his brother declare it way too salty after one bite! I told him where Storyeum was... in / near Gastown somewhere, but he's not too familiar with the area. The pastor thanked us later, and said that most groups wanted to just get in there and finish as fast as they could: we were different from what he expected, heh.

On the way home, I told Eric about last week's story involving a blue liquid in the commercial that was really supposed to be red. Of course, I didn't go into too much detail... and the only reason I told him that much was that I thought he was referencing the blue line in pregnancy tests, or that he was asking about men in my life! (of which there are none currently, heh) He's kinda desensitized to it since he's had girl roommates before, and thinks he was there that night at Boston Pizza when we were discussing all of Erin's embarrassing pad stories anyhow. (Nathan was kinda horrified since he has no sisters, heh... which reminds me that at lunch, he asked if he could be my sister. Sure, why not? Jon misheard, and told him that he had too many [unrelated] sisters already in his sisterhood / harem [including his twin sister Vanessa L.].. wasn't I already one of them? So then we set him straight... he HAS many sisters, but has never BEEN a sister! That could lead to incest if he and Nathan were to get together, never mind what the Anglican church thinks of the matter! From incest to bigamy to polygamy to polyamory to raw dog bigamy... hahaha!)

He asked if I was getting together with Palmer, and I said: "No, his lifestyle's a bit too complicated." Then I told him about the time my family and Vivian's family went to the Blue Diamond almond factory in San Francisco. (no, I didn't do a #2 there!) They had this gift shop which included a table with samples of different almonds.. we ate them ALL, which we found kinda hilarious. (but also kinda mean)

Seeing all those people at the street church certainly made me think! I believe I'm kinda glad I left my comfort zone and spontaneously decided to go with the guys tonight. We'll see what happens in the future with this, heh.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home