Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Spelling / grammar rant

This is inspired by an MSN conversation my brother and I were having earlier this afternoon about contagious misspellings. I thought he misspelled the name of Kom Jug Yuen, where I now want to eat. :P He said he didn't, and I told him to shut up a little further on. But I made a typo while doing that, so he said that now *I* was the one misspelling things... unless he had misspelt "misspell." I checked Dictionary.com for him, and said that he'd spelled it right according to that site. He knew that "misspell" was one of the most common words to be misspelt, so I said that he'd inspired a blog rant. His reaction before he signed off: "Aiya." Mwahahaha. :D


Disclaimer: I'm not slagging you if you have dyslexia / something similar, if English isn't your first language and you're learning, or just can't spell to save your life. In fact, some of the spelling errors I'm about to rant about are made by people whom I love to death, kind of like Alyial. :P



I don't know WHY people can't spell simple words correctly! Yes, I know this is the Internet and I'm "supposed" to be used to this sort of thing. I can definitely read fluent typo, if I have to. But certain errors just grate on my nerves. No, I don't expect all the Net to have perfect spelling or grammar... I know I don't have those things myself, and that would be an impossible expectation in any case. But here is a list of some things that just make me go "ARGH!" whenever I see them, unless used in a joking way:


GENERAL:

* leet speak / Netspeak and abbreviations ("u," "ur," "2" for "to," etc.)
* people putting apostrophes in places where there shouldn't be any




MISSPELLINGS:

* "definitely" as "definately" or any other word (Corey is forgiven, but still! :P)
* "necessarily" as "necissarily" (I saw this once, and went insane :P)
* "satellite" as "sattelite" (see above)
* "ridiculous" as "rediculous" (I'll only forgive Corey for it, but still! :P)
* "hilarious" as "hillarious" (see above)
* "appreciate" as "appriciate"
* "weird" as "werid" or "wierd" (unless it's an obvious typo)
* "just" as "jsut" (see above)
* "aggravation" as "aggrivation"
* "vacuum" as "vacume"

(just see AnjyB's or Alyssa's posts here)



*** plus a LOT more that I can't think of right now!


MIXING UP:

* "to" / "too" / "two"
* "you're" / "your" (I see this one SO OFTEN!)
* "where" / "were" (believe it or not, I see this one too!)
* "loose" / "lose"
* "hostels" / "hostiles"
* "toke" / "took" (I saw "I was bored when I toke the pictures" in a community just yesterday.. made me think she was smoking them out of a marijuana bong :P)
* "threw" / "through" (I hated it on the Twinstuff board in 2001, and still hate it now, thanks to Kim :P)
* "breath" / "breathe"
* "then" / "than"
* "affect" / "effect"
* "common" / "come on" (I know a person who does this ALL THE TIME!)



*** plus a LOT more that I can't think of right now!


For more examples, go here or here. I'm sure there are more things like that out there, as well.

I'm not perfect, as I said before, but UGH!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home