Saturday, January 11, 2003

Committee retreat, David's cute cracker game

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DENISE! Hope you have a good one, and are studying hard at St. Maartin in the Caribbean! Love ya, and am still thinking about you over here.. hope to see you soon. :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SABRINA! :) Hope you have a great birthday!

THOUGHTS FROM THE ALL-DAY COMMITTEE RETREAT

Yes, that's right.. I am now a member of a committee. Before you all shake in your boots in fear of me (haha.. like THAT would ever happen), it's a church Fellowship kind of thing. Today was the all-day retreat, where we planned things for a good portion of the year. I won't bore you with all the details (mainly because I can't really remember all of them.. operating on barely minimal sleep as I was), but at least my position on the committee has a name other than "Future Name." ;) I'm the administrative coordinator. Sounds important.. and it is. Basically... I have to make sure everything runs smoothly, email people announcements, set up the fellowship directory, make sure the prayer / worship sub-committees are doing their job, make sure attendance is taken.. plus whatever other stuff they make me do. Now that the roles and responsibilities have been redefined and clarified further, I think I have a clearer idea of what to expect. (even without any prior committee experience to hand)

I did my own version of "caffeine abuse" this morning, as I woke up way too early for my personal taste. (around 7:45) Once I'd actually gotten to the meeting room where we spent the day, I had three cups of (mainly) black coffee. That might not qualify as "abuse" by some people's standards (like Spoz :P), but since I hardly ever drink coffee... three cups of coffee were what I needed to at least be sort of awake-ish.

Some of the immediate / short-term effects of my own special brand of caffeine abuse?

1. I was drawing dodgy-looking treble clefs all over a sheet of paper. (something I've not done for years)
2. Curiously enough.. while my brain seemed like it was going a zillion miles per hour, it also seemed strangely blank and devoid of any thought. No idea why.
3. I was somewhat hyper, but it didn't translate into any weird antics.. sorry guys! :P
4. I was also somewhat restless / distracted easily / not paying attention.. but that could have been due to the meeting itself. (getting up from the table to go to the bathroom, getting stuff to eat / drink, walking around a LOT? yup, that was me)


We also deconstructed a LOT of semantics when we were wording our goals and objectives for the year. There was WAY too much stuff to be considered in how we worded these things, but it was important. Heck, we spent more than 40 minutes coming up with an objective that read: "Build authentic relationships." (and then we changed it.. I think..) Oh well.. can't do much about that.

After the meeting, I did have time to go to Awana.. it wasn't too bad for the first meeting of the year. Later on, my favorite kid wanted to play what he termed "the boobie game" with me. No.. I hadn't heard of this game before, and it's not what you think it is, either. :P It just involved David getting his package of crackers to land on the chair at the other end of the table. But in the different "levels," he had me try to block all of the crackers with his Awana handbook.. he's a cute, lovable kid. :)

That's all for now.. I'll be back later.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home