Sunday, January 09, 2005

"The mystery of men, for only two dollars a minute!"

All right, here's a real post from me.. I'm sure you're all happy! ;)


I was happy that Eric went with my family to church today, instead of driving himself like he'd normally do. Once we got there, I was afraid of the snow and general icy conditions (even though it was shovelled), so I needed to lean on my mom going into the church from the back parking lot. When I entered the church, I headed to the library. Eric, Jackie, and Christon were there.. Eric asked if I'd slipped on the way in, and Christon misheard that as "Did you sleep on the way in?" Hahaha, Eric would have been able to tell if I had slept on the way over, even if we were both half-asleep! :D

Christon told us that he wasted two days at the university this week, because his professor didn't show up for the one class he had on Tuesday and Thursday. Jackie said she missed Fidela, and needed to give Nathan's Zoolander DVD back to him. I said that I'd had Nathan's Classical Chinese Literature for a few months now, I should return Jon's library books to the church, and that I ought to read more Christian books. After we discussed that for a bit, my friend Helen came in, so I asked her if she'd gotten my email about our friend Lauren's baby shower this month. (finally, a shower-type event I could attend with a ride on a Sunday evening!) She hadn't, but told me that Lily had RSVP'ed to the Evite. I saw her later on, and she could definitely give me a ride... yay for Richmond people, since they rock! ;)

After service and Sunday School, I talked to my friend Jeff. He told me that Julie and Elaine (teen sisters) were bad girls because little Ethan had said so.. he wouldn't stop teasing them! William asked if I had $3 to buy some chocolates... I didn't even have enough money for lunch, so had to decline. When I went outside, Eric asked what my parents were planning for lunch.. I had no idea. He wanted to have Vietnamese noodles (Pho) with Nathan, Jen, Dawn, and Danielle.. that sounded like a good idea to me, so we went after my parents said they'd pick us up later. Danielle had to yell "Bye!" to her boyfriend Citrus before we left.. last week, he'd gotten concerned when she hadn't, and asked her about it later on. So then we got to see them hug goodbye.. it was very heartwarming, and gave me a small measure of hope!

At the restaurant, Jen ordered a Heineken after seeing how cheap it was... we joked that it was only $3.50 because it wasn't authentic. We talked about Jen's family trip to Mexico.. there were nice-looking guys on the Cancun beach, but she has her standards to maintain! After all, this is the girl who half-jokingly told my brother to smuggle a cute Irish guy on his flight home from Ireland last May... whereupon he promptly said: "I can't believe I'm having this conversation!" As Jen said at the time (February 2004 during Memphis Blues Singles Night Out II), BELIEVE IT! (since you ARE having the conversation and all, y'know?)

My family and Dawn's family have known each other for YEARS, so inevitably we began discussing old family memories. There were all the times we scared Dawn's little brother Geoffrey by using her then-friend Jane's mom as a threat, the time she went over to our house because her brother was being born, and the time she went over to the house and asked why one car was suddenly missing. My sister's explanation: "Oh, Jon just crashed another car and walked away." Then we got into a discussion about Jon's history of car accidents, the Camry accident my mom and I got into last winter (no, Jon did NOT crash another car that time!), how Jon is really laid-back (don't laugh if the car skids on the road, because that'll scare your female passengers and friends!), plus some other things. It's been very interesting! ;)

The girls lost it when Nathan mentioned that he and Citrus had played videogames for six hours straight, and that he'd go home to play more. We can't understand why men would play sports videogames when they could just as easily go out and do the real thing, or why 40-year-old men would play them at all. Nathan tried convincing us that it helped build strategy; it was the same thing as when girls went for manicures, read books, or went shopping. Then he said that he'd give us insight into the mystery of men, for only two dollars a minute. We weren't about to take him up on that offer, especially since there was no mystery if we weren't convinced by his explanations! (RPG's and even racing car games building strategic skills, yes.. but NOT sports videogames!) Eric then helped us out a little by saying it was all tied into bonding time and socialization.. that made more sense than what Nathan was trying to link it to! Danielle could certainly understand that, seeing as her masters research involves teens and cognitive skills they pick up through playing such games. That was a pretty good and funny discussion!

After we figured out the bill since they put an extra $6 on it, we stopped by the 7-11 briefly since Jen was craving something sweet / chocolate. Then Danielle was craving coffee, but it would make her way too wired.. I could definitely relate to that! At the church, Eric threw a snowball at me without warning.. at least he asked if I was okay later! I know he does that as a fun thing, with no malice behind it. Hannah let us into the church sanctuary, where she and her sister Priscilla were playing hide-and-seek. I gave them some gum, and let them look at my Bathroom Reader. (maybe I'll get Hannah a kids' edition in May for her birthday) My parents came by shortly afterwards to pick us up... we also went to the post office, where I got a parcel with David's CD player! Now, I wonder where Corey's CD and DVD got to... I'd better get them soon, since I am looking forward to the GWAR / Lords of Acid / Ministry / Oingo Boingo / King Missile / Ween / Skaur / Cookie Monster / Revolting Cocks / Lard / prank call weirdness. ;)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home