Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I got birthday stuff in the post!

Let's see.. what to write today....

I got certain things explained, and all is well on that front. Can't fault him for trying, after all. ;)

I received a beautiful birthday card from my Our Place friends Steve and Carol.. that pleasant surprise made my day so far! :D

I also got a birthday card from my parents in the mail.. it was a Carlton Cards Bubblegum thing with "Computer Geek" on the front. (har har, how fitting!) I'd try to find a visual for you guys, but I'm sure my computer will screw up while I'm doing that.

My mom included a note with the card, too.. I'm reproducing it here exactly as written, so any errors aren't mine.

"It is just fitting that you are turning 28 for me to write you a letter since I had you when I was 28 and I am doubling your age now at 56. A lot of people said they remember their mother on their birthday because of the hardship and pain that the mother had on their birth-day.

It was certainly true in your case. That night, Uncle Reuben and Uncle Eric were visiting me and I had severe contractions. Doctors rushed me upstairs without IV inserted. That was an intern and he couldn't find my vain to put in the IV. After several tries and the nurse kindly adviced the doctor to give up since she took pity on my suffering. You were the lucky baby with the two uncles also anxiously walking the hospital corridors awaiting your birth.

And of course, after you were born, you were quickly wisked away by a team of doctors and nurses trying to save you. Daddy said he heard you cry, I didn't hear anything. It was hours after before I was allowed to see you in a maze of tubes of machines. And the pediatrician told me bluntly that you were very crittacal. I remered (no idea what that is) for you 3 months in ICU, Mommy was by your side everyday. Dad would drop me by your side, spent some time with you and then go to work. When he finished work he will come by for another visit and then take me home. Often at home, I would afraid the phone ring and tell me that you are no longer with us. One of your next day neighbor was one of the two twins by the last name of Lee. She wasn't supposed to live, so the parent almost never come to visit for fear of bonding. And she died quite lonely and that was still fresh in my mind.

You had a stormy birth, a lot of difficulties of health, but God saved your life and give you intelligence. On your birthday, I hope you can use God's gift to you in the fullest potential.

I hope that you can rebuild your relationship with us. You know that you were very loved and treasured by us. It's just that bringing you up with all the doctor's appointments, physio activities, with us both working, having another 2 kids, we were exhausted and being so stubborn yourself there was a lot of conflicts.

Being resentment would certainly do you no good. I hope we can start new with God's grace and love, each of us should pray for our relationship to be loving.

I hope you can think about taking some studies toward some goal instead of sitting at the computer doing 'chat room' most of the time. Give back to God what He has given you.

Try to spend some time with Grandma too. She's in declining health and you never know how much time she has left.

Have a happy birthday!"



I've heard all this before, and I don't know what to think. On the one hand, it seems as though she does want to try. Then again, she just may want to make me feel guilty because of all the events surrounding my rather premature birth... or maybe that's just my cynicism talking. (I'm not in chat rooms most of the time, anyhow.. she just thinks email / IM / chat rooms / message boards are practically all the same thing, is all :P)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home