Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Engrish in charming ancient towns of Beijing, Kyle's book advice, finding things, Ben, sentences

Last night on the way home, I was telling my siblings and Nathan about Eric's email response to my SLB email asking Jon who his friend Myles was. Basically, Eric copied and pasted a lot of information from Wikipedia about Miles Davis to explain who Jon's friend was (that did not help, thanks!)... and then threatened to disinvite me from the SLB night because I used "yo" in an improper context. ("you should put AND in front of it!") Jon said that Jeremy had a shirt which said "and yo" on it, and I said that Jeremy's shirt was the first thing I thought of when I read that! Of course, Jon thought the whole response was hilarious! (that's why we keep Eric around, hahaha!)

Hey, I got a Beijing (Charming Ancient Town - Dali Lijiang) postcard from Dawn! :) Haha, I love the Engrish on this thing!

Cherry Blossoms Inebriate Visitors

Thousands of cherry blossoms and green willows are planted in such streets as Fuxing, Bo'ai, Yeyu, and Yu're Street to form a city zone of dense willows and fresh flowers. Once in March, the spring breeze awakes the cherry blossoms. The pearlescent cherry blossoms with big flowers, bright colors, small petals, and dense flowers are so beautiful like a piece of red, frozen, and gleaming cloud. The scenery in the lanes like rosy clouds, together with flying birds and butterflies and bustling visitors, may be called "countless flowers among flowing clouds and mists; a splendid pavement for visitors." The fully blooming cherry blossoms connect the ancient town and visitors. Groups and couples of jostling and bustling visitors rush to appreciate flowers in the streets. Visitors flood to flower seas while flowers fly to crowd of people.


Heh, that provides nice imagery! Dawn says she hopes the card finds me well and enjoying Vancouver summer weather. As of that writing, she just came back to Hong Kong after a trip back into China... only this time to the southern province of Yunnan where there are a lot of rural villages. These are really old towns that still retain a lot of the life / architecture of a bygone era, where the most of China's ethnic minority groups live. She also wishes me all the best and her friendship love, and says she'll see me in 604 soon. That sounds good!

Reminder to self: Get Heart Seizure by Bill Fitzhugh, since Kyle recommeded it to me a while ago. That'll have to wait till I want to get another book, since my book list has to be even! (yeah, I'm OCDL! :P)

I finally found my photo album, so I put photos in it. Then I finally found Eric's birthday card: I forgot that I put it in a bag with the whoopee cushion I plan to give him for his birthday. (nice inside joke, haha!) Now my computer's talking to me again... at first, I thought it was just the ads. Then I figured out that it only happens to me when I reload my GJ friends page... very bizarre since it's never been that way before. o_O (and no, there are no other ads like that on the other tabs I have open! :P)

When I got the emails from Danielle and Christon yesterday about the thing for Benny, I was confused when they mentioned the prayer retreat. I was like "... prayer retreat? WHAT prayer retreat?!" haha. Then I clued in a while later.. the WEEKEND thing which I'm not going to. I swear, I forget about things that don't affect me. Very bad, I know!

Speaking of that thing, I have to get my sister or someone else to snap a picture of me with him. Then I have to get them to give it to me later on... that'll be good, heh. Darn... I should have bought a bubble tea from either the Yuen-Yuen Café or L&G bubble Tea House yesterday! I was so close to them! Argh. Oh well, at least I saved my money!

Now, a meme to round things off. This reminds me of a survey question I did once, haha.

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your journal along with these instructions. (When I first read this, I was rather confused as to how you'd post your journal's sentences without a referring entry! For the other ditzy people among us, it means to find the fifth sentence and then post sentences 6-9 on page 123 of the book.)
5. Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
6. Tag five people.

Book: Ghosts: True Encounters with The World Beyond
Sentences: "I should think that President Kennedy is in the latter group - that is to say, a free spirit capable of continuing an interest in the world left behind. Why this is so, I will show in the next pages. The R. Lumber Company is a prosperous firm specializing in the manufacture and wholesale of lumber. It is located in Georgia, and the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Bernard R., are respected citizens in their community. It was in April of 1970 that Mrs. R. contacted me."

Tagging whoever wants to do it. :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home